Anybody Own A New 2014/2013 Dodge Ram 1500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had my Toyota Tundra for almost 7 years now. It has 170k miles on it and it has been a great truck. No complaints other than MPG. I am in the market for a new truck and I am trying to decide between a new Tundra or a new Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi or if I can get it,.. the new V6 EcoDiesel.

In comparing the two, here are my takes on them. If any of you guys have bought/leased a Ram 1500 5.7L V8, could you tell me how it has been? I am pretty torn on what to do and will be deciding in a month or 2.

Tundra:

Pros:

1)Uber-Reliable. With 170k miles,.. nothing,.. I mean nothing has gone wrong with it. I have done oil changes every 5k miles and very rarely go with the dealer suggested maintenance upgrades. i.e. radiator flush, transmission flush, etc.

2) Plenty of power for me. I drive back and forth to work, occasionally drive onto oil lease roads to drill a well and haul a 6x10 enclosed trailer full of band gear for my band 10-15 times a year. I have never been short of power for any of that.

3) 1.9% APR for 60mos. You can get it for 72 months but damn I hate giving even more interest to the finance company. If you need 72 months,.. (IMHO) you need to get a cheaper car/truck,... unless it's 0%. Toyota offers 0% but only for 36 months,.. and no dealer incentives at all. You pay sticker.

Cons:

1) MPG. Good God it is a gas guzzler. I might get 15MPG if I'm lucky.

2) Expensive. Compared to other trucks, the Tundra is more expensive. Not only is the sticker price higher than most, the factory rebates and dealer incentives are less than other manufacturers.

3) No 0% financing except for 36 months and with no incentives.. You pay sticker. I bought my current Tundra with 0% for 60 months,.. with incentives.

4) Pretty simple interior. It's bare bones but like I said,.. no issues electronically or mechanically. Maybe simplicity is a key to reliability.

Now onto the Dodge Ram 1500 w V8 5.7L Hemi (Or V6 3.0L EcoDiesel)

Pros:

1) Features,... Good Lord,... the front dash looks like the dashboard to the Space Shuttle. Everything from heated/cooled seats to an 8.4" display, to a fully customizable dash cluster set, to trailer brakes, to air suspension control (you can raise/lower the body 4" up or down),..etc. The dash and cab features are incredible. I was really blown away when test driving it.

2) MPG (on the EcoDiesel) You might be able to get 28 to 30MPG with the EcoDiesel. I think the jury is still out but if even 27MPG, it would be a win.

3) Price. The Laramie package compared to the Tundra Platinum equivalent (not that there is an equivalent, leather and a center dash LCD screen, 5.7L V8 and 4x4 is where the equality ends),.. the Ram sticker price is $3-4k cheaper than the Tundra. Plus you get $6-8k in rebates and incentives from Dodge. Big difference in price at the end of the day.

Cons:

1) The Unknown. I've never owned any Dodge product. I know they do not have a great history but it seems to have gotten better. Ram 1500 has been truck of the year back to back. Don't get mad at me,.. I didn't rate it. This is where you guys come in. Please give me some real world experience with the 2014/2013 Ram 1500.

2)Finance rate. 2.9 is the best they can do unless you want 0% for 36 months. If I put some cash down with my trade in,... I might do that.

3)It's almost too much. There are so many features/gizmos that it is almost overwhelming.

So, that's my dilemma. I'm looking to you to help me make a good decision. Oh yea,.. one other thing. The center console on my Tundra is perfect to mount my holster. I use it when I have to go in the bank, or at work (can't carry in the office), etc. Not sure if my 1911/HK 45C will fit in my slide holster in the Ram's console.

Either way it pains me to have to shell out another $35-45k for a truck.

Help me oh wise truck ones!!!

Thanks in advance.

Carl

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hated dodge until they pulled out that 5.7hemi with a tranny would would last. Definitely a best buy/best value looking at trucks today. I'd be wary of the ecodiesel. Being first gen, I'd either skip it or wait until they work out the issues it's bound to have.

If my gmc 15HD 6.0L/alison wasn't paid off, or if it was falling apart, I'd buy a ram with confidence. Everyone I know that has one absolutely loves it, except the one dumb dumb that bought a v6 crew... he hates his

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you got 15mpg for 170,000 miles and paid 3.50 a gallon you spent $39,666 in gasoline
If you get a vehicle that gets 25 mpg you will spend $23,800 in fuel at the same price per gallon
15,866 difference.
I am sure you have done the math.
I bet your Toyota has another 100,000 in it if it was taken care of.

My son worked on 3 Dodge trucks last week all 3 had Zero oil pressure.
But 2 had 250,000 miles + on them and one with just 119,000.
The culprit was a blocked oil pickup.
Drop the pan and remove sludge.

I feel some of these oil change intervals are too high.
Another issue is short trips that do not rack up miles or heat the engine enough.
Just about every car i have had or built has went 200,000 miles pretty easily.
a few in the upper 300,000 mile range.
But alas i can't help you in your quest as i despise new vehicles.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you got 15mpg for 170,000 miles and paid 3.50 a gallon you spent $39,666 in gasoline
If you get a vehicle that gets 25 mpg you will spend $23,800 in fuel at the same price per gallon
15,866 difference.
I am sure you have done the math.
I bet your Toyota has another 100,000 in it if it was taken care of.

My son worked on 3 Dodge trucks last week all 3 had Zero oil pressure.
But 2 had 250,000 miles + on them and one with just 119,000.
The culprit was a blocked oil pickup.
Drop the pan and remove sludge.

I feel some of these oil change intervals are too high.
Another issue is short trips that do not rack up miles or heat the engine enough.
Just about every car i have had or built has went 200,000 miles pretty easily.
a few in the upper 300,000 mile range.
But alas i can't help you in your quest as i despise new vehicles.

Thanks for the response. Yup,.. I've done the math. I am only getting a new truck for tax benefit purposes. Otherwise I would stick with my Tundra.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hated dodge until they pulled out that 5.7hemi with a tranny would would last. Definitely a best buy/best value looking at trucks today. I'd be wary of the ecodiesel. Being first gen, I'd either skip it or wait until they work out the issues it's bound to have.

If my gmc 15HD 6.0L/alison wasn't paid off, or if it was falling apart, I'd buy a ram with confidence. Everyone I know that has one absolutely loves it, except the one dumb dumb that bought a v6 crew... he hates his

I am right with you on that. It scares me to jump into a new brand truck,.. with a new engine that has no real world testing.

I have to admit,.. I am leaning that way as well.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my dodge bought it brand new in 2009. Buying it so new is where I went wrong. That was the first year they put the new 5.7 hemi in it.
the first three months of driving I had to take it back to the dealer for a blown motor. They replaced it with what they said was a new motor not sure if it was new or not but it took three months to get it back . There has been a ton of recalls on it. Today I have been flushing my heater core just to get some hot air In the cab . my exhaust manifold has a crack in it so now i have an exhaust leak but i still wouldnt take a different truck over it

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to drive this new truck 170k, there is no question. Buy the Tundra!

I have had a Dodge for a company vehicle, and it was in the shop 6 times before 50k.
I swapped with a die hard dodge fan, thank goodness. Now have a F150 with 240k, ready for a new one.

My personal truck is a Tundra, I would not trade it for anything else, and it holds a great resale value.
The 5.7 gets better mileage then the 4.7l V8 in 2011.

Latest posts

Top Bottom