Anybody Own A New 2014/2013 Dodge Ram 1500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned toyotas and Dodge/Jeep and Mercedes post Daimler and the issues you deal with on the Dodge are numerous and irritating. Dodge are known for electronic gremlins. That alone would keep me from buying another unless it's covered under warranty.
The dodge 2500 cummins was ok, but needed a clutch before 70k, the driver seat was worn out before 70k because of the poor seat frame design.

If you plan to own this truck for more than 70k miles, I would go Toyota. If not, the dodge will last to about 70k before the gremlins find there home.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drive a 2010 dodge diesel work truck 4 x 4, 190,000 miles on it and zero problems. Change oil every 4000 miles and fuel filter every other oil change. I'm a ford man (99 f 350 7.3) but if I buy another personal truck it will be a dodge.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a '13 Ram now....but I just bought it so I can't give any reliability feedback. I rent 'em/work 'em hard all over the country without any problems and previously owned a '97 Ram for over 8 years with zero maintenance issues.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am right with you on that. It scares me to jump into a new brand truck,.. with a new engine that has no real world testing.

I have to admit,.. I am leaning that way as well.

FWIW, that engine has been around in Europe since I think 2008 so it's not totally new. Just new to the Ram. They have also been putting them in grand Cherokees for the past 6 months or so. Real world MPGs on those have been 25 in mixed and nearly 30 in highway.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dodge is a 2005 3/4ton quadcab long bed. I have had no real problems with this truck. I gets pretty good gas mileage and has great power. I wouldn't worry about the new diesel half ton, the engine has been around for awhile(in europe) and the tranny has been in use for several years.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, that engine has been around in Europe since I think 2008 so it's not totally new. Just new to the Ram. They have also been putting them in grand Cherokees for the past 6 months or so. Real world MPGs on those have been 25 in mixed and nearly 30 in highway.

I did read that but couldn't find too much data on it. I couldn't find any reviews. The MPG is the biggest reason for my interest. It would fit me perfectly.

Thanks again, looks like I'll have to call the dealership tomorrow and ask what the lead time on a 1500 with the EcoDiesel would be. If it's 6-8 months,.. no dice but if it's 2-4 months,.. I'll have a tough decision.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did read that but couldn't find too much data on it. I couldn't find any reviews. The MPG is the biggest reason for my interest. It would fit me perfectly.

Thanks again, looks like I'll have to call the dealership tomorrow and ask what the lead time on a 1500 with the EcoDiesel would be. If it's 6-8 months,.. no dice but if it's 2-4 months,.. I'll have a tough decision.

My BIL got one ordered on like the 7th or 10th of Feb. He has a tentative delivery date of Mar. 8. But I don't think they are taking orders again for another month or so. The initial allotment sold out in 3 days. Biggest problem on these will be getting a deal. The demand is high for the new diesel. Your best bet would be getting a good dealer on the line to let you order when the next order window occurs.

Reaction score
I have a 2011 crewmax 2wd. They stopped using the 4.7 motor in like 2010. Mine has the 4.6 which is just a smaller stroke version of the aluminum block 5.7. If I set my cruise at 65, I get almost 21mpg and that is verified all the way to Florida or Dallas. Mixed city/highway can be around 16-17 depending on how dumb or smart you drive. It has plenty of power for what I need right now and so much room.

The new 2014 body style and updates were hard for me to accept, but they are starting to grow on me. Both of my neighbors bought new Rams. One in the last week or so and the other was like last year, but he moved away. Never heard any complaints.

The only other issue is that EVERYBODY has them it seems. Tundra is a little more unique if you care about that sort of thing. :haay:

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was never a big Mopar fan until my first in 2001, bought a Ram and put over 70k with NO problems at all.
Bought the Rumble Bee in Aug 04 and have over 120k on her now, only thing I've had to change was the EGR valve, a whopping $70.
Until this morning, at 6 degrees the darned 9 1/2 year old Dodge battery wouldn't crank her over.
Anyone know who makes Dodges batteries for them? I want another and hate to pay dealer markup.
MOPAR fanboy here now.

Eddie005

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a 2011 Ram Big Horn with the 5.7 a year ago. Had 13,000 on it when I bought it and 25,000 now. Really love the drive and ride and I have had no issues at all. I did get an extended warranty to cover the electrical issues should they arise but so far she has been excellent. I did get rearended last month and it was in the body shop for 2 weeks, drove a 2014 Chev Silverado rental for that time and I was more than ready to get my Dodge back!

Latest posts

Top Bottom