Anybody Own A New 2014/2013 Dodge Ram 1500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Talked to the dealer today and they said no problem,.. come in and if you order the V6 EcoDiesel,.. it will be built in about 8 weeks,.. instead of the 4 week turnaround of other build sheet orders.

To my feeble mind,... It seems the 1500 V6 EcoDiesel is the way to go. I love my Tundra but I can save money if the Dodge just gets 22mpg. If it gets 28mpg,.. I can save over $1500/ year,.. and that is on gas alone. That is after I save money on the purchase price. The Dodge with the diesel upgrade is still cheaper than the Tundra. Hate to say it but it's true. Toyota's incentive discount off of MSRP just suck.

Going to take the next 4-5 days and crunch more numbers.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Talked to the dealer today and they said no problem,.. come in and if you order the V6 EcoDiesel,.. it will be built in about 8 weeks,.. instead of the 4 week turnaround of other build sheet orders.

To my feeble mind,... It seems the 1500 V6 EcoDiesel is the way to go. I love my Tundra but I can save money if the Dodge just gets 22mpg. If it gets 28mpg,.. I can save over $1500/ year,.. and that is on gas alone. That is after I save money on the purchase price. The Dodge with the diesel upgrade is still cheaper than the Tundra. Hate to say it but it's true. Toyota's incentive discount off of MSRP just suck.

Going to take the next 4-5 days and crunch more numbers.

I've been doing this for the last two weeks between gas, diesel, and CNG..............I'm weary.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been doing this for the last two weeks between gas, diesel, and CNG..............I'm weary.

Don't get me started with CNG. I think it is a great option,.. especially since I'm in the oil & gas industry,.. but the upfront cost was just a bit too much for me. I know you get a 50% tax break but maybe I'll do it down the road after the new truck price sucker punch to my wallet is healed up. If I was buying a used truck, I would do it and roll the cost into the car loan if I could.

My spreadsheet is getting larger and larger,....

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked Toyota prices outside of the Texas market? I bought my daughters tacoma in Colorado Springs and saved 10% under the Tulsa dealers even with airfare and fuel to drive it home.

That being said, if you are saving money on fuel with the diesel, even with the higher cost per gallon, i would prefer the diesel.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I have a good idea on what I am getting. I compared 2 models of Ram trucks,... Big Horn (non-leather but as loaded as I could load it) and the Laramie (leather and not quite fully loaded),.. then compared both of those with V8 gas engines and V6 EcoDiesel engines over the life of the financing (60 months). Pretty interesting results. I assumed fuel cost at today's price $3.19 gas and $3.58 diesel,.. and 18mpg for V8 gas engine (I am being very friendly) and 28mpg for the V6 EcoDiesel. Also, I assumed 2k miles driven / month.

I'll consolidate so I don't attach the entire spreadsheet !!

Big Horn V8 Gasoline
Sticker Price = $44,500
Final Price after Discount = $ 37,500
Amount Financed = $21,500
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $44,366

Laramie V8 Gas
Sticker Price = $48,200
Final Price after Discount = $ 41,200
Amount Financed = $25,000
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $48,326

Big Horn V6 EcoDiesel
Sticker Price = $46,000
Final Price after Discount = $ 38,000
Amount Financed = $22,000
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $38,982

Laramie V6 EcoDiesel
Sticker Price = $51,000
Final Price after Discount = $ 44,000
Amount Financed = $28,000
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $45,402

My thoughts,... I can get the totally loaded out Big Horn with the V6 EcoDiesel and the only thing I don't get is leather,.. which I don't really want anyway. I want to be able to get in my truck if I've been working on my Cutlass all day and need a part at O'Reilly's. My Tundra is cloth seats and I have never wished I had leather.

So I think I'm going for that,.. and save $6k at the end of the loan,..... assuming that diesel stays within $.40-.50 of gasoline.

Thanks for all the advice,.. Now I get to deal with car salesmen!! I've never built a car just for me so this might be a fun project,.. or it might be the worst experience ever. Haha. I'll keep you all posted on how it's going.

Thanks,
Carl

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I have a good idea on what I am getting. I compared 2 models of Ram trucks,... Big Horn (non-leather but as loaded as I could load it) and the Laramie (leather and not quite fully loaded),.. then compared both of those with V8 gas engines and V6 EcoDiesel engines over the life of the financing (60 months). Pretty interesting results. I assumed fuel cost at today's price $3.19 gas and $3.58 diesel,.. and 18mpg for V8 gas engine (I am being very friendly) and 28mpg for the V6 EcoDiesel. Also, I assumed 2k miles driven / month.

I'll consolidate so I don't attach the entire spreadsheet !!

Big Horn V8 Gasoline
Sticker Price = $44,500
Final Price after Discount = $ 37,500
Amount Financed = $21,500
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $44,366

Laramie V8 Gas
Sticker Price = $48,200
Final Price after Discount = $ 41,200
Amount Financed = $25,000
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $48,326

Big Horn V6 EcoDiesel
Sticker Price = $46,000
Final Price after Discount = $ 38,000
Amount Financed = $22,000
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $38,982

Laramie V6 EcoDiesel
Sticker Price = $51,000
Final Price after Discount = $ 44,000
Amount Financed = $28,000
Total Payments + cost of gas for 60 months = $45,402

My thoughts,... I can get the totally loaded out Big Horn with the V6 EcoDiesel and the only thing I don't get is leather,.. which I don't really want anyway. I want to be able to get in my truck if I've been working on my Cutlass all day and need a part at O'Reilly's. My Tundra is cloth seats and I have never wished I had leather.

So I think I'm going for that,.. and save $6k at the end of the loan,..... assuming that diesel stays within $.40-.50 of gasoline.

Thanks for all the advice,.. Now I get to deal with car salesmen!! I've never built a car just for me so this might be a fun project,.. or it might be the worst experience ever. Haha. I'll keep you all posted on how it's going.

Thanks,
Carl

Why does the big horn ecodiesel get 8k discount with 7k figured on the rest?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure but my sales rep told me that Big Horn models get $8k off sticker and Laramie get $7k. Not sure why,... maybe they are trying to move the Big Horns.

That's odd. Usually there is more room to play with on the higher MSRP models. I'm a Laramie man myself at least for the wife's vehicle. With young kids a leather seat sure cleans a lot easier than cloth. Now on my work truck, it doesn't matter much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom