AR-15 build or buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Highly recommend you going to youtube and finding the School of the American Rifle Channel. You'll learn more about spec'ing ARs than you'll ever care to know. He also offers a class. Either way, you'll get a better understand of why Pony worship or "milspec" is outdated thinking. Whether you build or buy, there's a wealth of information available there.
When I say milspec, I'm speaking only of the dimensions and interchangeability. Colt is beyond milspec now in terms of accuracy and longevity, due to seemingly proprietary methods. The only options that have proven more durable are non milspec, that have few interchangeable parts with an AR15, and therefore cost three times as much.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any metallurgical analysis to substantiate your claims.
Not that I know of, nor is there a reason to. Colt won the contract for Mk18s, and bolts stopped breaking, so obviously whatever secret sauce they put on them worked. That was also independently verified by a guy who fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through several dozen of them and kept track of the lifespans, compared to other brands he had that failed much earlier under the same firing schedules.

Another independent test confirmed what everyone already knew about the accuracy of their chrome lined barrels. Some SOCOM barrels actually outshot Noveske stainless barrels.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking for a bombproof AR for general purpose, home defense, SHTF, etc., a Colt LE6920 is what you want, and it's not even debatable.

If it's solely for plinking, there's a certain logic to getting something dirt cheap like Anderson or PSA, but I wouldn't recommend anything in that category if you think you might use it as a house gun at some point.

I've got a number of "house guns" I have run thousands of rounds through and I would put up against any stock Colt 6920. ANY. ONE.

What you're saying NOW is a FAR CRY from the crap you were spouting above as if you are the world's arbiter of what is worthwhile and what is not. You made yourself look like an ass, plain and simple. Sorry, but that's how I see it, and that's my opinion. Maybe my opinion is "debatable", but apparently yours isn't.

:hypnotize:

Retired

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that I know of, nor is there a reason to. Colt won the contract for Mk18s, and bolts stopped breaking, so obviously whatever secret sauce they put on them worked. That was also independently verified by a guy who fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through several dozen of them and kept track of the lifespans, compared to other brands he had that failed much earlier under the same firing schedules.

Another independent test confirmed what everyone already knew about the accuracy of their chrome lined barrels. Some SOCOM barrels actually outshot Noveske stainless barrels.
So what your saying is that you have no viable evidence to substantiate your claim, is that correct. Retort.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Highly recommend you going to youtube and finding the School of the American Rifle Channel. You'll learn more about spec'ing ARs than you'll ever care to know. He also offers a class. Either way, you'll get a better understand of why Pony worship or "milspec" is outdated thinking. Whether you build or buy, there's a wealth of information available there.
Thanks for the tip...I'll check it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom