Are guns basically your only hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadof#4

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hobbies last for 3 years or so then I'm on to something new. I'm a casual gun enthusiast but not a real gun geek. If I can't read the name on the gun and it's not a glock I probably won't be able to tell you what it is. But I went thru about a 3 year period of being a real training junky; took quite a few defensive shooting classes from some well known and some local instructors.

Also like to fish but can't say I'm very successful so far.
Love my dogs.

In the past I've had a couple of dune buggies, built and flew a gyroplane, powered parachute, 25 skydives.
Played in several bands back in college days and thought I wanted to do that for a living; glad it didn't turn out that way.

I'm mechanical and like making something useful out of the scraps I've hoarded.

Jack of all trades and master o

I've often (not quite) joked that my hobby is collecting hobbies. I'm definitely afflicted with adhd (diagnosed, not just assumed). So I have a tendency to find something that is interesting to me, go all in on it and then get completely bored of it.
I think my biggest flaw is that I never feel that I'm actually good at anything, so I end up dropping interests almost as fast as I find them. I always have at least a couple of projects that I've started, but it takes me forever to actually finish them.

As for guns, I've always enjoyed them. That's one constant throughout my life. I've never collected high end guns or been an expert shot of anything like that, but I have always enjoyed them and will likely always have them.
Guns are pretty much my only hobby. I also enjoy watching my daughter play softball. Whats funny is I hardly ever go shooting but still enjoy them.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guns are my only hobby. That and chillin with the wife. My twin brother got me into guns before I got out of the military. Every time we talked on the phone he would talk about guns. I thought it was weird. He finally talked me into getting a Sig 226 for home protection and carry. Been addicted ever since. I like buying, but haven’t shot over 3/4 of my guns. Some are collectible. All the rest I have, I bought for potential security needs. A tool for every situation.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
One of my latest is old vices. They can be had for cheap and if they could talk, think of the stories they could tell. I had to make a carrier washer for this one. Someone had already been into it and misplaced it. The handle was bent but I didn’t want to discolor it with heat so I had to bend it back into shape.
13511321-9819-4ADD-A38B-40C5C93E8CAA.jpeg
11CB9295-829D-4B1D-AAC8-2F6ADDABE1E2.jpeg
56E8746D-A965-406A-9A0C-0650EA64D0E7.jpeg
D4130BD8-7B82-49CF-99B2-9C221AB6AE1E.png

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my latest is old vices. They can be had for cheap and if they could talk, think of the stories they could tell. I had to make a carrier washer for this one. Someone had already been into it and misplaced it. The handle was bent but I didn’t want to discolor it with heat so I had to bend it back into shape.
View attachment 397351
Columbian's are supposed to be some really nice vises, but that's a machinist's vise that's been used like a blacksmith's vise. Poor thing. Glad you found it, and showed it some love!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Columbian's are supposed to be some really nice vises, but that's a machinist's vise that's been used like a blacksmith's vise. Poor thing. Glad you found it, and showed it some love!
Yes, no anvil on the back and only a 3 1/2 inch jaw. It’s been beat on but still tight. Model is a 503 1/2

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you. Skeet shooting is my primary hobby but then there is pistol / rifle shooting, reloading, fly fishing and fly tying, photography, RVing, vegetable gardening, R/C airplanes and helicopters, HAM radio, guitar (I suck), and golf. The wife has ordered me not to bring-in another hobby without dropping something first. :D
I forgot the fly tying rabbit hole I fell into earlier this year. Thanks for the reminder.

IMG_1545.jpeg

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns, little wood working (I suck at it), I really enjoy working on small engines, hunting, fishing, and guns. Did I mention guns?
I don't actually do any fishing. I used to go out with my dad and brother. While they were fishing, I would be drowning worms. I don't think you mentioned all that much about guns, though. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom