Best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best 1911 is an entirely subjective term these days. They run from basic to wild, one holers to reliable as the day is long. Currently I don't care for any of the sub $1K guns. If I had to buy a new one today I'd probably go with a S&W 1911 though. At least the warranty and service are great and you have a fairly good chance that it will run.

On the used market I'd look for a Nowlin 1911 (wouldn't pay for one made since John Sr. died). For a basic I'd look for an early Springfield GI in the old blue & white cardboard box (when they still made them out of surplus GI parts).

For a build I'd look for a Series 70 Colt, or do it right and build on a Caspian slide and frame. There are only two builders I'd consider and both are here in OK.

But that's just me. I'm pretty jaded on 1911's. :(

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Norinco? Did they make some good 1911 pistols? Not familiar with them

My Norinco has been flawless. Got it used for $400 last year.

That being said, I've never heard anyone who wasn't enthralled with their Ed Brown or Les Baer. I have yet to shoot either, but just handling was pretty impressive.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a build I'd look for a Series 70 Colt, or do it right and build on a Caspian slide and frame. There are only two builders I'd consider and both are here in OK.

I just picked up three Caspian carbon frames and one Stainless .45 slide. Now I'm on the hunt for two 9mm slides. These will be my first total builds...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're incorrect here. Norinco uses no MIM. The "guts" are better than most sub $1000 1911s out there including the chrome'd barrels.

By suck, I meant that they were pretty rough not that they were MIM parts.
Nobody in there right mind thinks that a sub 1K 1911 is going to be perfect. Heck, the high end 1911s aren't always perfect inside and out either.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best 1911 is an entirely subjective term these days. They run from basic to wild, one holers to reliable as the day is long. Currently I don't care for any of the sub $1K guns. If I had to buy a new one today I'd probably go with a S&W 1911 though. At least the warranty and service are great and you have a fairly good chance that it will run.

On the used market I'd look for a Nowlin 1911 (wouldn't pay for one made since John Sr. died). For a basic I'd look for an early Springfield GI in the old blue & white cardboard box (when they still made them out of surplus GI parts).

What two builders do you like?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By suck, I meant that they were pretty rough not that they were MIM parts.
Nobody in there right mind thinks that a sub 1K 1911 is going to be perfect. Heck, the high end 1911s aren't always perfect inside and out either.

What do you mean by "pretty rough?" Please be specific. Also, what high end 1911s & sub $1000 guns have you owned to compare? Just curious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom