Best BBQ in Okc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a guy across from Wal Mart here in Altus that makes a heck of a good brisket.

Technically, most of the "BBQ" in OK is actually "grilled meat" because of the cooking time/temp.
BBQ is cokked at a cooler temp for 6 to 8 hours, which renders the fat from the pork and cook more evenly through and through.
The grilled meat cooks in half the time on a hotter fire, and is more suitable for the leaner beef so popular here. If you have burned spots on the meat, it was grilled hot, not slow-cooked BBQ.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a guy across from Wal Mart here in Altus that makes a heck of a good brisket.

Technically, most of the "BBQ" in OK is actually "grilled meat" because of the cooking time/temp.
BBQ is cokked at a cooler temp for 6 to 8 hours, which renders the fat from the pork and cook more evenly through and through.
The grilled meat cooks in half the time on a hotter fire, and is more suitable for the leaner beef so popular here. If you have burned spots on the meat, it was grilled hot, not slow-cooked BBQ.

""Technically, most of the "BBQ" in OK is actually "grilled meat"" - that is a pretty wild and unsubstantiated claim unless you reference specific places that you suspect are cooking this way. Not all "burn spots" on meat is from direct grilling. When I hickory smoke a pork shoulder at 225 for 12-14 hours, it tends to develop an excellent black bark on the outside. There is a technique for baby back ribs where they are smoked for 3-4 hours, wrapped in foil for 60-90 min then finished on a hot grill to sear in some juices. That would tend to leave some "burned spots" you speak of.

What BBQ places struggle with is not the cooking of the meat, its keeping the meat in a warming drawer at a temperature that complies with health codes. The longer they try to keep it warm, the drier it becomes.

TripleD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave Swadleys in Mustang another change at their ribs. I still wasn't impressed. Earls, Vans, and Leos kick their butt. Heck, I like my own ribs better than Swadleys.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the microwaveable bbq you get in the grocery store.....-_- I like homemade bbq its cheaper and you can make it the way you like it.

I had ribs from the Homeland grocery store and they were surprisingly good. Like $12 for a full rack and they were gone in seconds at my house.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woody's if your out and about on the weekend. It's not exactly in the Metro... out east of Guthrie on ST Highway 33 @ Westminister ...... open Thursday -Sunday only.

Stables in Guthrie is pretty good too. 7 days a week

Latest posts

Top Bottom