Best BBQ in Okc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a few folks have mentioned Van's Pig Stand as the best.

So I took my wife and son their for lunch today to see if it was true.

My experience.

1. Entered Van's. 2 waiters present. both watching a football game. Ignored me for 5 minutes at which time i asked if one of them could stop watching the game long enough to help a paying customer.
2. got an annoyed look. One of 'em said go to the counter and order. give 'em your name and someone will bring your order.
3. went to counter. got a #1 hamburger 2.99 for son. Wife ordered #2 and i got the big rib dinner. $25 bucks.
4. Sat down. about 10 minutes out comes the order. Hamburgers looked right but no way was just 3 ribs the big rib dinner. pointed it out to the waiter. Really he says? showed him my ticket. Hmmm... says he. Takes it back to the kitchen comes back about 5 minutes later with 4 more ribs. during his absence I took the time to read the bill 'cuz $25 seemed a bit high.
5. $2.99 hamburge +.49 for a slice of velveeta cheese and 1.25 for vaning it. What the hell was van it I asked. Oh that's the lettuce and tomate says the waiter which were one puny leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato aobut 2" in diameter. So a $2.99 burger became $4.74 and my wife's number 2 which was a base price of $4.35 became $6.09. WTF!

So how'd it all taste. I expected great things since Van's was featured on diners, dives and drive ins on the food channel

Bleehhhh! Meat was falling off the ribs, bland with only a very mild smoke flaver and the fattiest ribs I've seen in a long time - some like that but I hate it. Sauce was little more than vinegary chili powder mixed with some thickener. Worst ribs I've eaten in 59 years.

Wife liked her burger but said no way was it a $6 dollar hamburger. Son ate 1/2 his.

Curly fries that came with the burgers were average.

Needless to say we won't be going back. EVER!

Bad service and overpriced mediocre food. Not my idea of a place that deserves the rep it has.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to vans 3 months ago when i saw it in another thread and i got the burger everyone said was good and it cost i believe around $6 as well. It was good but after i was done I couldnt help but think of what other meals I could have bought with that money.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vans is not as good as it used to be, but I have found most places aren't either.

We tried Billy Sims in MWC because my FIL said it was great! I was very disappointed in the ribs.

Last edited:

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a few folks have mentioned Van's Pig Stand as the best.

So I took my wife and son their for lunch today to see if it was true.

My experience.

1. Entered Van's. 2 waiters present. both watching a football game. Ignored me for 5 minutes at which time i asked if one of them could stop watching the game long enough to help a paying customer.
2. got an annoyed look. One of 'em said go to the counter and order. give 'em your name and someone will bring your order.
3. went to counter. got a #1 hamburger 2.99 for son. Wife ordered #2 and i got the big rib dinner. $25 bucks.
4. Sat down. about 10 minutes out comes the order. Hamburgers looked right but no way was just 3 ribs the big rib dinner. pointed it out to the waiter. Really he says? showed him my ticket. Hmmm... says he. Takes it back to the kitchen comes back about 5 minutes later with 4 more ribs. during his absence I took the time to read the bill 'cuz $25 seemed a bit high.
5. $2.99 hamburge +.49 for a slice of velveeta cheese and 1.25 for vaning it. What the hell was van it I asked. Oh that's the lettuce and tomate says the waiter which were one puny leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato aobut 2" in diameter. So a $2.99 burger became $4.74 and my wife's number 2 which was a base price of $4.35 became $6.09. WTF!

So how'd it all taste. I expected great things since Van's was featured on diners, dives and drive ins on the food channel

Bleehhhh! Meat was falling off the ribs, bland with only a very mild smoke flaver and the fattiest ribs I've seen in a long time - some like that but I hate it. Sauce was little more than vinegary chili powder mixed with some thickener. Worst ribs I've eaten in 59 years.

Wife liked her burger but said no way was it a $6 dollar hamburger. Son ate 1/2 his.

Curly fries that came with the burgers were average.

Needless to say we won't be going back. EVER!

Bad service and overpriced mediocre food. Not my idea of a place that deserves the rep it has.

I've eaten at Vann's in Shawnee only twice. And that was 4 or 5 years ago. One time was mediocre, the other time I could have sworn I tasted a hint of lighter fluid. Never been back since.

Have had Bad Brads ribs once and was very disappointed. Their brisket and pork tender loin is always good though.

Love Spencers ribs. Just ate at Spriggs in MWC, not over the top good but I'd go back again. The ribs were very meaty and brisket tender. So far my favorite ribs are at Cimarron steak house on the west side of OKC. Have had them about 5 times and they've been very consistent in quality and flavor. Swadleys ribs are pretty good but I love their brisket.

Rib Crib. Have eaten there 5 times between two different locations. 2 times it was great, 2 times it was below average but eatable. The last time I was there the ribs, I kid you not, looked like three day old road kill. What scraps of meat that were on the bone had the consistency of jerky. Honestly, the worst ribs I'd ever had in my life. If you're going to call yourself RIB CRIB, your ribs had better be awesome at least 80 - 90% of the time. Even if everything else on the menu sucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom