Bill would allow CLEET certified educators to carry in OK schools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many full time school employees are already certified as Reserve Officers in the state? That would be a good place to start. Eveyone that works in these schols has to have a background check I'd venture. I see no reason to restrict it to teachers and principals. Beyond that, my comments in the thread about ideas on what to do apply.

It will be interesting to see how many administrators lobby against this idea.

At my school we had a janitor (now retired) that was a competive shooter and auxiliary LEO. I think such an employee would be ideal as responder to a shooter on campus for variety of reasons. I know of at least one current faculty member that is CLEET certified.

As for me, a veteran teacher, It was an Active Shooter drill several years ago that brought me here. After that drill I was so distressed at how helpless I felt that I decided to learn what I could. That led to me taking up shooting again, finding this forum, me and my wife obtaining ccl, getting some training like TDSA combat pistol, and learning as much as I can on my own.

I would gladly take whatever training necessary to meet the requirements to protect myself faculty and students. But, is CLEET necessary? I don't want to be part time Leo on campus. I want to know how to effectively handle an immediate threat on our campus. I doubt defensive driving or arrest processing procedures would be a valuable use of my time. Teaching keeps me pretty busy.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my school we had a janitor (now retired) that was a competive shooter and auxiliary LEO. I think such an employee would be ideal as responder to a shooter on campus for variety of reasons. I know of at least one current faculty member that is CLEET certified.

As for me, a veteran teacher, It was an Active Shooter drill several years ago that brought me here. After that drill I was so distressed at how helpless I felt that I decided to learn what I could. That led to me taking up shooting again, finding this forum, me and my wife obtaining ccl, getting some training like TDSA combat pistol, and learning as much as I can on my own.

I would gladly take whatever training necessary to meet the requirements to protect myself faculty and students. But, is CLEET necessary? I don't want to be part time Leo on campus. I want to know how to effectively handle an immediate threat on our campus. I doubt defensive driving or arrest processing procedures would be a valuable use of my time. Teaching keeps me pretty busy.

As I posted in the other thread on this subject, I think full CLEET cert is a waste of training. We're not asking school employees to enforce the law. We're asking them to be a last resort defense against an active shooter under very narrow rules of engagement. The training and certification should focus on that. The FFDO program certifies pilots as federal law enforcement officers, but their jurisdiction is about 6'X6' and their role is defense of the cockpit. That's how this should be tailored.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. At least it's a practical solution instead of more gun control laws that don't work. But the school admins being mostly liberals will be
opposed to it I bet.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. At least it's a practical solution instead of more gun control laws that don't work. But the school admins being mostly liberals will be
opposed to it I bet.

Yes they will I happen to feel that those districts inclined to do this should and those that aren't can do whatever their parents agree is good. No need to shove this down unwilling throats.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Current SDA license would be all that is necessary. Even better is to put those who choose to get a license through some on campus active shooter training scenarios. I will be happy to teach the SDA and go to schools to train these folks. I know many of my fellow SDA Instructors and fellow LEOs would join me. No need to go through the full reserve officer academy training as most of what is covered is not applicable to this situation. I would like to see schools removed from the off limits places for all SDA permit holders.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why should CLEET be required? Since we already have a permit process, shouldn't that be enough and let the schools handle their own local policy?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/harrold-texas-school-guns_n_2316729.html

Let's get the camel's nose under the tent first. :) I mean, yes I suppose we could try for the moon right out of the gate and then use CLEET as a fall back position to get it through committee. I've talked to Jason Murphey about it expressing my support, and now you see he commented to KFOR he was fully in support as well.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd like to see some scenario replication of these school shootings in a shooter simulator as see show arming a teacher would play out verses other means of resistance. I’m not against arming teachers, but I’d like to see some research into what the odds of friendly fire, wall pass through and every other way a bullet could fly in a building after a miss on target. We do it for our soldiers, don’t our children deserve it as well? Shooting is serious, should be take very serious around our children and the level of training should be just as serious. I’d like to see a study looking at tasers, pepper spray, fire hose/extinguishers used to defend against an attacker and a coordinated defense plan among all the persons in the building.

Latest posts

Top Bottom