Bill would allow CLEET certified educators to carry in OK schools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why should CLEET be required? Since we already have a permit process, shouldn't that be enough and let the schools handle their own local policy?

I would say because having a SDA permit does not make one qualified to defend a school and it's population from an armed attack. If we are going to intentionally place an individual(s) in a school for the purposes of defense, they need to be properly trained.

Not that CLEET training makes one a hardened urban QCB expert either, but it's a damn sight more involved than an 8 hour SDA class.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming they are talking about phase I-IV, Armed Security Guard? It says the 3 year license is $141 for armed, but I can't seem to navigate to the course requirements through the website...I'm CLEET ignorant.

Edit: Ok, nm...I see the courses are offered through most vo techs...checking out Meridian since it's closest to me.

$220 for I and II combined, and then another $199 for III. SO...how do you get firearms qualified?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Assuming they are talking about phase I-IV, Armed Security Guard? It says the 3 year license is $141 for armed, but I can't seem to navigate to the course requirements through the website...I'm CLEET ignorant.

Edit: Ok, nm...I see the courses are offered through most vo techs...checking out Meridian since it's closest to me.

$220 for I and II combined, and then another $199 for III. SO...how do you get firearms qualified?

If I'm reading thru this correctly, you take I and II, the III is an optional private investigator part and not required to take IV, which is the firearms training. Mental evaluation test is done before allowed to take IV.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Simulation training would be a great asset, for those teachers who are willing to step up and do this. As far as tasers, pepper spray, fire suppression devices.........they can still be pulling the trigger while getting hosed, sprayed or tased, and one has to be in close proximity to the shooter to use them.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm reading thru this correctly, you take I and II, the III is an optional private investigator part and not required to take IV, which is the firearms training. Mental evaluation test is done before allowed to take IV.

Ah, ok, thanks. Just trying to get a sense of overall costs to implement this per person. Wondering if this could also allow for volunteer security officers provided they are licensed, etc.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep Phases I, II and IV for armed guard license. Most places will start you in the classes and you just need to schedule your MMPI test before applying for the license. One point of order, you have to be employed by a guard agency or have a bond in order to renew the license. If you try to renew the license without it, they'll keep your money and deny you the renewal.

I honestly don't think we should be looking at CLEET certifications that are designed for full time, full spectrum jobs. We're talking about a volunteer collateral duty. The training should be thorough, but mission specific. The only mission of the collateral duty should be to remain undetected by anyone in the environment and to only reveal and act when a lethal threat presents itself. Training should focus on OPSEC, concealment, threat recognition, legal aspects, critical decision making, dynamic shooting, ECQC and tactics. Not powers of arrest, reporting, patrols, crimes and punishments, etc.

As I've said elsewhere, you're essentially looking at working as a protective detail member. That's a specialized skill that does require training, but not necessarily law enforcement training.

sln

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am new here I agreed to letting the teachers carry as long as it is conceal and they had proper training. I think they should be cleet surfied the SDA course is not enough.The one I had didn't care how accurate you was just how safe. There was one person in it that wasn't that good and I was a little worry about also I know couple of others talking about people that was in there class that they were scare of on the way they handle there gun. If the teachers going to carry they need to be able to shoot so hopely no students accidently get hit.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, then they'll have to describe a new set of credentials in the proposed law...is that what you're saying? I mean, armed PI is another license that might currently work, but like you say, maybe we need "educational security detail" training.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly don't think we should be looking at CLEET certifications that are designed for full time, full spectrum jobs. We're talking about a volunteer collateral duty. The training should be thorough, but mission specific. The only mission of the collateral duty should be to remain undetected by anyone in the environment and to only reveal and act when a lethal threat presents itself. Training should focus on OPSEC, concealment, threat recognition, legal aspects, critical decision making, dynamic shooting, ECQC and tactics. Not powers of arrest, reporting, patrols, crimes and punishments, etc.

As I've said elsewhere, you're essentially looking at working as a protective detail member. That's a specialized skill that does require training, but not necessarily law enforcement training.

This is very well thought out and I agree.

OTOH the appeal of CLEET certification is that it's an existing body of training and certification. They wouldn't have to come up with some new set of certification requirements and wait for classes and instructors to appear.

One point of order, you have to be employed by a guard agency or have a bond in order to renew the license. If you try to renew the license without it, they'll keep your money and deny you the renewal.

Does CLEET process renewals, or the state? Sounds like, at a minimum, the bill should provide that being employed by a school or school system would also enable you to maintain the license or certification.

Any indication of whether McCullough's bill encompasses colleges and universities?

Latest posts

Top Bottom