Body Armor In Your Prepping Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The armor might be a little high, but seems about average really. It is nice that they offer female cut armor. I think I want some of the designer armor though, so I can be stylish while still being protected.

lol, that's funny. I do agree that it's nice that they offer the female cut. I just bought plates though. Figured if SHTF, there will be a lot of rifles out there. Soft armor is only good for pistol rounds.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've got good body armor on you'll end up with some broken bones(maybe) and some large nasty bruises. But no open wounds. If you did somehow break skin then the antibiotics in your kit would take care of it. Any modern gunfighter without bodyarmor isn't worth his weight in salt. Too many people with the Superman syndrome. I've been shot at, been shot and fired back. I'm not going anywhere without mine.

If I was the big bad wolf I would be wearing the latest and greatest believe me.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL ... You guys are NOT right ...

I never said I was. Besides, who wouldn't want to look dapper in armor like this? I mean, cammies are over rated. my new SHTF clothing is suits!(wool of course):

[Broken External Image]

Or for the ladies:

[Broken External Image]

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been stocking up on ceramic plates, they are rated up to 7.62x56, and I recently had a chance to test them as a plate was dropped on its edge, leaving it unserviceable. The plate did its job exceptionally, I am willing to trust my life to them. Combine these with a plate carrier made of ballistic Kevlar rated up to 9mm, makes an exceptional accessory, and isn't overly cumbersome.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SAPI Ceramic Inserts. Used to use them at work (old job), so learned to trust them over time. They aren't as heavy as other plates out there, and provide some of the better protection that I have seen.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SAPI Ceramic Inserts. Used to use them at work (old job), so learned to trust them over time. They aren't as heavy as other plates out there, and provide some of the better protection that I have seen.

Only issue with ceramic is they are somewhat fragile (can't be dropped, but hopefully you're careful) and they break down fast after getting shot. It's recommended to not use them after they have been shot once. Steel or a titanium steel blend can take multiple hits without "breaking". In a SHTF situation, you can't buy another plate. You said you've been stocking up on them, which makes me think you have multiple plates, which is good. However, for those only buying one set, I would not recommend ceramic.

Some people are worried about splash or fragmentation of the bullets. This can be avoided by buying plates that are already coated in a bed liner substance (you can tell when buying), or coating them yourselves. To me, buying steel makes more sense, since I won't be able to buy a replacement plate. If I could easily buy another plate, ceramic would definitely be my first choice.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jakerz, I can't speak for steel, but I owe the fact that I am on this side of the dirt to a ceramic chest plate. While your points are all valid, ceramic suits my purposes, and I am fortunate enough to be able to obtain them at reasonable cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom