Brainstorming on an Idea here........about trapping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea Bobby! I would be interested if I have time. I know a couple of professional trappers that would maybe be interested in helping out with the beaver trapping depending on when and where. Skinning and fur care is an area I could use some improvement too if you cover that.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like about a dozen or so interested, lets let the thread go for a week or so and then we'll try to come up with a date and location that works. Would be nice if we waited till it cools off some, I think it would be more enjoyable for everyone. I see there's some interest in beaver trapping, I've not done enough of it to say that I could show anyone how, that would be effective than just watching youtube, too many rules and loops to jump for me to ever get in to it. Plus, we've had little to no water around here for so long, they've not been a problem for anyone.
I think I really just need to make some quality drowner setups. I mostly trap on the lake and I can get the traps set and working good. but the banks are not that steep and they wrestle their way out of them or something. They are stout little suckers.

Yep, the most effective traps for beaver require a training session, and I believe a permit from the state. Conibears.
I do want to get that permit though.
I was under the impression that you had to purchase a professional trappers license to get the coni permit. I wish that law would make it thru.

Great idea Bobby! I would be interested if I have time. I know a couple of professional trappers that would maybe be interested in helping out with the beaver trapping depending on when and where. Skinning and fur care is an area I could use some improvement too if you cover that.

+1 for the skinning and fur care. I could definitely use some pointers. Dad has trapped most of his life, but he never put up fur. Just skinned them, rolled the hide up and froze it and then took to auctions when they came to town. I guess he never really had time for that part of it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I really just need to make some quality drowner setups. I mostly trap on the lake and I can get the traps set and working good. but the banks are not that steep and they wrestle their way out of them or something. They are stout little suckers.

I was under the impression that you had to purchase a professional trappers license to get the coni permit. I wish that law would make it thru.

+1 for the skinning and fur care. I could definitely use some pointers. Dad has trapped most of his life, but he never put up fur. Just skinned them, rolled the hide up and froze it and then took to auctions when they came to town. I guess he never really had time for that part of it.

He just needed to flesh and then put on stretchers and that's it. Some animals go fur side in, others fur side out. I sell green so I don't skin anything anymore.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Bump this back up. Looking at the second Sunday afternoon in December. Should give all of those who was interested time to plan ahead. Erick kindly offered his place west of Yukon as a host site, so as long as it's ok with him and doesn't interfere with his operation out there, we'll pencil in that date and location. Sounded like most of interest was from the OKC area. Sept, Oct, Nov most will be in the field hunting something, I know I will. If there's a better date, throw it out there and we'll kick it around. Can do it after the first of the year too, I'm easy. I don't mind doing one in the Tulsa/Bartlesville area in addition if there's enough interest that way.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the update okie. And the fact it's in my back yard sure will make attendance easy. Looking forward to it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Bump this back up. Looking at the second Sunday afternoon in December. Should give all of those who was interested time to plan ahead. Erick kindly offered his place west of Yukon as a host site, so as long as it's ok with him and doesn't interfere with his operation out there, we'll pencil in that date and location. Sounded like most of interest was from the OKC area. Sept, Oct, Nov most will be in the field hunting something, I know I will. If there's a better date, throw it out there and we'll kick it around. Can do it after the first of the year too, I'm easy. I don't mind doing one in the Tulsa/Bartlesville area in addition if there's enough interest that way.

Looking at the first Sunday in December possibly too, per Erick's request

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
How about round the Hillsdale/Carrier/Goltry metroplex?

That's too far to drive, and private lessons will cost you extra!:D I catch too many cats across the road from your dad's, I don't want to show you any tricks that will increase your odds, LOL:D
Anytime you're up, call and I'll show you what little I know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom