Brand loyalty...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For years I've tried to be a brand loyalist on most things...Glock pistols, Smith & Wesson revolvers...Winchester, Hornady and Federal ammo...Galco and Safariland holsters and related gear...CRKT and Spyderco knives...and last, but not least...Surefire flashlights.

Well... :rolleyes2

It looks as if Surefire has to take a back seat from me for a little while, because I think I may have just found the perfect torch. :w000t:

Say hello to my little friend!!! :fullauto:

aep_yimg_com_ca_I_policestuff_2144_108606458_.gif

This is the new Streamlight PT-2L flashlight. :bowdown:

THis little guy is incredible! :ooh2: For the last couple of years, I've carried a Surefire L4 "Digital Lumamax" flashlight on my person...

Every. Single. Day.

But recently I bought a new murse and decided to retire my Surefire L4 to it along with the CRKT M16-13M folder that was so generously given to me a few years ago by one of my bestest buddies here at OSA (heya Eli! :wave:). By doing that, I set out on the search for a new EDC flashlight.

At first, I thought I would go with another one of my very favorite lights, the Surefire E2E "Executive Elite." But the cheapest one I could find was 90 bucks. Now don't get me wrong...I'm all for paying a C-note for a good light, I would just hafta save and save to be able to afford it, and I need a new light NOW! :pissed:

Anyway... :rolleyes2

I'm surfing one of my favorite online stores, www.lapolicegear.com and I see the Streamlight PT-2L for only 50 bucks. Hmmm, I said to myself. :scratch: At 50 bucks, I said, surely it can't be THAT good. :disappoin

So...just for kicks and giggles, I search good ol' Youtube for a review or two. Out of the three I watched, all three of the owners raved about how bright the little SL is as well as it's cool features (high mode/low mode/strobe) all for only a mere crisp Ulysses S. Grant.

So...I took a chance and ordered one. And I'll be damned if it's not the brightest pocket sized tactical light I have ever used in my entire life! :faint: I mean - I never have been a HUGE fan of LED flashlights. Sure, they are more or less indestructible...they run for longer time periods that incandescents and they really light up a room. BUT. I've never seen one with any throw worth writing home about.

Until now. :woohoo1:

This thing lit up a prospective target EASILY at 50 yards...which is more than enough for a personal combat light. ;) It is powered by two CR123 Lithium batts and weighs mere ounces. It has a tailcap button...hit it once for high mode (180 lumens) hit it twice for the strobe feature and hit it three times for the low mode (18 lumens). It also has a handy pocket clip and fits in the pocket beautifully. It's in my pocket as I'm typing this and I don't even feel it.

What else can I say? :anyone: If you are in the market for a pocket sized combat light (and yes, you should tote one. It's as important for EDC as a spare magazine. Uhhh...you carry one of those with you too...right? :lookaroun) this Streamlight PT-2L is a dandy!

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just shot a night fire orientation and a friend of mine showed up with one of these with him for his course of fire. I was rather impressed with the little light and the brief 30 seconds of getting handle it, I'd say that much of what you said above is spot on. ;)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a dandy. I did a night fire once with my Surefire L4. While it did "ok" up close, it really struggled way back on the 25 yard line. Surefire just can't make a decent LED. Their incandecents rock, but their LEDs? Mmmm...not so much. :disappoin

This little Streamlight should have no problem lighting up the target from way on back. :thumb:

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a LED Maglite because I'm cheap.

Those look nice though......

The only thing maglites are good for these days is clubbing people. I've got a 2D LED maglite and the thing isn't even as bright as those little 9 LED flashlights that are like $3, and it hardly ever works reliably either. I'm about ready to throw it in the trash or turn it into a barrel shroud. It's more useful to me as a hammer than it is as a flashlight.

I'm going to have to get me one of those fancy flashlights one of these days...I have a few lights I consider bright (100 lumen) but i'd like one that will make people think it's the second coming of Jesus when I click it on.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These aren't bad little lights.

Special Ops on north Portland in OKC carries these for around $44 and change if I remember right. We'll see how it runs over the long term.

My only real concern is how Streamlights CS stacks up against Surefire's.

Ek

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. I recently picked up your light's little brother, the PT-1L. A little smaller and lighter, only uses 1 CR123 battery instead of 2. It goes everywhere.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These aren't bad little lights.

Special Ops on north Portland in OKC carries these for around $44 and change if I remember right. We'll see how it runs over the long term.

My only real concern is how Streamlights CS stacks up against Surefire's.

Ek

I've dealt with Streamlight's CS before. They are just as good as Surefire if not better. I say that because instead of mailing a Streamlight flashlight to their CS department, all you gotta do is take it to Special Ops in OKC on Portland. They are an authorized Streamlight dealer/service center. Inside the package of this little light, it said that Streamlight warrants and guarantees this light for the lifetime of the light.

That's something you don't see everyday! :ooh2:

I have a few lights I consider bright (100 lumen) but i'd like one that will make people think it's the second coming of Jesus when I click it on.

:pms2:

I can't wait to buy it from you in the classifieds in a month or two....

JK

Nevah! :hellno:

But I'll put you first in line if it happens. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom