Browning SA-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is turning 10 this year and want to give him a gun that will be just his and something that is nice enough to keep for him as a heirloom as well.

I remember I used to see the Browning SA-22 which I would give strong consideration to but I can't seem to find it, are they out of production now?

If so, does anyone have a good alternative recommendation? I don't need a just a "shooter" for him, we have plenty of 10/22's, and other .22's, I want something nice that I can give him in a presentation case, etc.

Lucas McCain

Marksman
Reaction score
Yep, they still make 'em. They have them in stock at gander mountain, you just have to call them up and they can ship to your ffl. I think they are around $699. You may be able to snag an older one on armslist for around $400.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want something kinda vintage I would maybe look into a remington 12/121 pump, the remington 24/241 speedmaster is the remington version of the browning SA-22, or a 500 series boltaction remington 510-single shot 511-box mag 512-tube fed (I have a 510-was my dads and 512 and love them now need a 511 also own a 12c target-was my great grandfathers), and maybe even a marlin 39.

I think all of these would be a great choice for a keep forever gun. I have a 10-22 but the 3 old remingtons I have get shot 10x more...something about steel and real walnut....Can you tell I like old remington .22's?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want something kinda vintage I would maybe look into a remington 12/121 pump, the remington 24/241 speedmaster is the remington version of the browning SA-22, or a 500 series boltaction remington 510-single shot 511-box mag 512-tube fed (I have a 510-was my dads and 512 and love them now need a 511 also own a 12c target-was my great grandfathers), and maybe even a marlin 39.

I think all of these would be a great choice for a keep forever gun. I have a 10-22 but the 3 old remingtons I have get shot 10x more...something about steel and real walnut....Can you tell I like old remington .22's?

I have 3 old family guns that have been handed down (actually, I've farmed out 2 or them to nephews for safekeeping) and they are far superior in quality to most new .22's today. One is a 121 and the other two are 241's, one of which is Shorts only.

Great old rifles.

But, to the OP's question, if you're buying a new one today and you're looking for a decent price and good quality, go with a Henry. The base rifle can be had for $300 (at SSP) and is a really good little rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom