Buying First .22lr Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have decided to go to Academy's black Friday sale for the heritage. I called and they said they could not tell me anything about the black Friday sale, but I was just wanting to ask if it included the 4.7" barreled models as well... I should have expected they would not tell me anything, so I will just go and have to find out. If not I will be skipping that idea. Plan B would be the Bersa .22lr pistols, that is if I can find a good deal on one. The hardest part in making this decision on which pistols to go with is that my daughter will also have to be able to manipulate / handle the gun well.

Thank you guys for all your input!

Has anyone shot the Bersa PPK copy 22? Wish I could find a wather ppk 22 was in another quote also.

I like both, Wifey likes the Bersa (Thunder, Firestorm same difference) better, I think it feels lighter on the barrel end which works for her. I seem to be a slightly little more accurate with the Walther P22, but most likely because I mostly shoot a 1911 and am use to the front weight for stability. Both have a "reverse safety" from 1911 and Sig P238 safety. so not a carry for either of us, but fun to plunk shoot.

Both have been reliable with CCI.

What did you wind up with?

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I still have yet to purchase a new .22lr firearm. While I am still in the market, I am really looking for a good deal. Most of these .22lr handguns I am looking at seem to hold their value very well, therefore, I may be sitting on my thick wallet a little while longer.

My father has purchased a Beretta Neos .22lr and while it looks neat it leaves me with more issues than I am comfortable with shelling out the money for one. The grip angle is a little steep which does not bother me too much as I already have shot it at 10, 15 and 25 yards with much success. The only downfalls to this firearm is for one the safety is in a terrible position and when on safe it digs into your skin very sharply in the crease of your thumb. The sight picture is not that great and I know this can be fixed, but I would rather save my money for a handgun setup close to the way I would like. The railing along the top is very out there and adds too much excess weight for a child to balance it well, much less its not really needed for my intended purpose.

I guess what I am getting at is that I have decided that its either going to be a browning, ruger, or possibly bersa. Time will tell whenever I find that right deal that magically opens my pocket book.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get a used one on OSA classified ... a nice Ruger MK or Buckmark will resell for about what you paid.

rest of your choices probably will not do that.... it's not by accident the most trouble-free/most desirable .22 pistols has highest resale values. that would be Ruger MK series and Buckmark.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind looking for something used, the Ruger Mark I or Mark II is a fun, and smooth shooting gun. It seems to be very similar to what is now offered as the 22/45.

enfoprefect

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently purchased a Ruger SR22 and have put about 1000 rounds of mostly cheap bulk ammo through it without a single problem. Tried a Walther P22 and had a few FTE problems but liked the gun anyway.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently purchased a Ruger SR22 and have put about 1000 rounds of mostly cheap bulk ammo through it without a single problem. Tried a Walther P22 and had a few FTE problems but liked the gun anyway.

sorry but Ruger SR22 doesn't have the following that Ruger MK I/II has. simply has not been around long enough. almost never purchase firearms new due to drop in resale values. 100% you will lose $$ should you decide SR22 jams too much, doesn't fit you or what ever....

too easy to find a mint condition Ruger MK I/II or Buckmark on classifies. deal with established OSA members for a no fuss deal. pay going used prices and odds are in your favor you will get most if not all your $$ back.

due to being absolute best in affordable auto .22 pistols. Ruger MK I/II and Buckmark also has the largest following so finding one to purchase and then later to resell will be the easiest. odds are a Ruger MK I/II or Buckmark will find it's way to being one of your keepers.

[Broken External Image]

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a ruger sr22 about a week ago. I freaking love this little gun. I know most folks prefer the bigger Luger looking 22 pistols. However, the ruger sr22 is fun to shoot. I put 4 or 5 different brands of cheap ammo through it. Never had any problems. It shot like a dream. I was even shooting at a somewhat big rock (2.5-3 feet wide) sticking out of the water that was at least 60-70 yards away. Hit it everytime.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Buckmark. I've owned it for almost 20 years and it is extremely reliable. I've shot 1000s of rounds through it. It's one of my favorite pistols and now my 9 year old son uses it exclusively when we goto the range.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a ruger sr22 about a week ago. I freaking love this little gun. I know most folks prefer the bigger Luger looking 22 pistols. However, the ruger sr22 is fun to shoot. I put 4 or 5 different brands of cheap ammo through it. Never had any problems. It shot like a dream. I was even shooting at a somewhat big rock (2.5-3 feet wide) sticking out of the water that was at least 60-70 yards away. Hit it everytime.

OT .. but shooting at objects 60-70yd out in water is a recipe for no good ... those bullets could bounce off water and go another 1/2 mile+ to no telling where.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OT .. but shooting at objects 60-70yd out in water is a recipe for no good ... those bullets could bounce off water and go another 1/2 mile+ to no telling where.

not to mention the rock....lol.

but as a kid I used to think that the ricochet sound was cool, but thought of where it went was concerning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom