Buying Guns at a Public Auction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody ever go to a public auction and get any good deals on firearms? There's an auction service in El Reno called Redings Auctions that has estate sales and stuff and he frequently has firearms listed as part of the sales...never been to one of these and was wondering if anyone in here has scoped one out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go to lots of auctions, with guns being sold occasionally. Most of the used guns sell for more than New ones.
Read the sale Bill closely, inspect them ahead of time if possible, and do some homework.

I've picked up three guns that were undervalued over the years. It's amazing how much some go for at auctions. Saw a Henry golden boy .22 lever gun go for over $2000.00.
Two guys got into a bidding war, and it went nuts.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is truly amazing what uninformed bidders will bid for guns, not to mention that 100% of auctions have shill bidders who are employees of the auction and they know how to read crowds and bid up items.

Guns are considered an A+ winner for the auctions because they almost always sell for more than they would in pawn shops. (most auctions either own or have contracts with pawn shops for items that they shill bid and have to buy themselves.)

What doesn't sell goes to the gun shows and you know the crazy prices they can ask there.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never found a "good deal" on a gun at an auction. As others have said most go for over new prices. Last one I went to the seller paid the auctioneer 15%, the buyer paid 10% and then they charged sales tax.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Most auctions (and estate sales for that matter) I've been to aren't much of a "sale". Seemed mostly they were trying to get a buying frenzy going.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its great fun to watch people get in a bidding war over a gun worth a couple hundred bucks, and one of them ends up paying over a grand for it.

My dad goes to them fairly often, and has got some really good deals, though. But he also knows what stuff is worth and when to stop bidding.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I saw a bargain at any auction that listed gun in them.
I don't know what it is but everyone seems to loose and logic.
It seems to spread over to everything in the auction.
But I hear about occasional good deals.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
On second thought, it's looking like I'll stay home and rake the last of the leaves up after all.

That is probably a much better use of your time, unles you just want to see how people with more money than sense act at an auction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom