Camping out in the passing lane!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we were in Mexico, there were military checkpoints out on the highway (no joke) with INTENSE speedbumps so you had to slow down. Every cab driver I saw would put their flashers on as soon as they started slowing down. Seems like a pretty good idea. I definitely don't see how it could hurt.

Sometimes I see Mustangs with the oscillating lights... I think that's a great idea too. Only works for turn signals though.

I'm FOR that. I actually had never considered my hazards, but I ALWAYS give brake pulses to try and warn the traffic behind me as I'm coming to a stop and while stopped. The last thing I want is someone plowing into the back of me at highway speed.

I pump the brakes too. I did consider that if I'm reaching forward to turn the hazards on, I am a little bit closer to the airbag. Not really something I want.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Absolutely hate more drivers I see on the road than not.

I hear about the European roadways and the claims that the Germans are incredibly strict on enforcing the driving in the passing lane laws; it sounds like a paradise. You mean it's actually against the law for these idiots to drive 45 on an unimpeded 65+mph motorway in the passing lane right next to the other car going the same speed; all the while I'm trying to get around them going the speed limit.

The only thing that rides on my nerves more than this are cars that are not suited for the road. Bumpers hanging off them and door panels and side stripping protruding into the next lane, while this dipshit pretends he has no idea their car is literally falling apart and endangering everyone else if not at the least risking damage to someone elses property.

And do not even get me started on people who drive the highways on one or two limited use and restricted performance back up wheels. Seriously, I have not seen one donut tire that doesn't say right on the side in all caps "do not exceed 40mph"

I have no use for stupid people who take such a daily and average simple task as the daily commute and manage to endanger others with it. I would like to evacuate austrailla (as it's the only island big enough to fit them all) put all these stupid failed excuses for motorists there. Then light the whole island aflame and hural the whole thing into a black hole.

And if you wanted to play the green card, I would be willing to bet that if people made proper use of the passing lane, I could get my fuel economy up at least another 2-3 mpg.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I get older, I still like to drive fast. However, I'm learning to be much more patient with inattentive (or simply slow witted) drivers who spend more time than necessary in the left lane.

The one issue I have zero tolerance for is brake checkers. It's illegal and dangerous. You're intentionally trying to cause an accident when doing so and should be cited for reckless driving. In some extreme cases, I've seen jackasses who intentionally set themselves up to cause tailgating, just so they can do this. I've had to exercise considerable restraint to keep from pitting them, for the safety of everyone else on the road. If you feel the need to slow an extremely aggressive driver down, by all means let off the accelerator. But for those of you who brake check, you're far worse than the guy who's driving too fast.

I do this. Arguments for?

All 3 lanes of 169 southbound at a dead stop, evening rush hour. Me in the middle lane. Small white car in left lane right next to me. Flatbed lumber delivery driver with his head up his ass going full speed behind the stationary small white car in the left lane.

When the truck reaches a certain point I start to run the numbers in my head and realize he can't stop, even if he sees the stopped traffic. He did indeed see the stopped traffic and hit the brakes, but nowhere near in time to keep from putting the trunk of the white car into the backseat of said car, the front of the white car into the back of the vehicle in front of it, and so on and so forth several cars on down the line.

I figure hazards certainly help in a small percentage of circumstances. Brake lights can be hard to notice to an idiot, especially on a sunny day.

I also leave myself an "out" as best as possible, and watch my rear view mirror for approaching traffic until I have enough cars behind me to eat the impact. Remember the old trucker that ran full bore into stopped traffic on the Will Rogers Turnpike and killed all those people? Yeah, RidgeHunter is watching his mirror. If I see something big and fast coming, I'm moving. If I have to make contact with a few cars to do it, that's what I'm doing. If we're at a dead stop on a 75MPH turnpike and we haven't moved for a bit, and there is not many of us, RidgeHunter is driving well off the road into the grass until traffic starts moving again. Seriously.

Excellent advice. One time I was stopped at a light in Florida in a brand new truck. I look in my rear view and see an old Ford LTD top the hill behind me going way too fast. He slams on the brakes (in the rain) and the worn out shocks send the car into a nosedive. The bald tires lock up and he has zero control. I see that there's no way he can stop in time. I just slip it in gear, turn the wheel and pull over onto the shoulder. He finally comes to a stop, fully occupying the space I just vacated. I can still see the priceless look on his face. I have no doubt he had no insurance, so I probably saved my new truck an expensive repair job and a $500 deductible.

It pays to constantly do a 360 threat scan while driving and try to anticipate stupid driver tricks. :)

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one issue I have zero tolerance for is brake checkers. It's illegal and dangerous. You're intentionally trying to cause an accident when doing so and should be cited for reckless driving. In some extreme cases, I've seen jackasses who intentionally set themselves up to cause tailgating, just so they can do this. I've had to exercise considerable restraint to keep from pitting them, for the safety of everyone else on the road. If you feel the need to slow an extremely aggressive driver down, by all means let off the accelerator. But for those of you who brake check, you're far worse than the guy who's driving too fast.

My sentiments exactly. I HHHAAaaate brake checkers. You are not the police. Get off your high horse.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It pays to constantly do a 360 threat scan while driving and try to anticipate stupid driver tricks. :)

Indeed. Especially with morons who'd rather pay more attention to their cell phones than to their driving. Two years ago, I was heading south on Memorial toward Bixby, and I was in the right-hand lane. Up ahead in the left lane was someone in a tricked-out four-door sedan, driving very slowly and weaving a bit. When I passed him on the right, I saw he was busy texting on his cell phone while sitting in an almost horizontal seat :disappoin

So I drove on, and a bit down the road I noticed in my rear view mirror he'd drifted over into my lane, which made me even more vigilant. Who wants some cell phone-wielding dumbass on his tail? A couple blocks later, I put on my turn signal to pull into the parking lot of a store on the right-hand side, all the while watching this guy behind me. Sure enough, he quickly closed the distance between us with his head bent down, totally oblivious to what was happening ahead of him. I canceled my turn, straightened out the wheel, and stepped on the gas. He came pretty darn close to jacking up my rear end... I wonder if he even noticed.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. I HHHAAaaate brake checkers. You are not the police. Get off your high horse.

It's simple. Get off thier tail. Just like flashing flights and honking at left lane campers to get the F outta the way. Brake checking is just a reminder to you to BACK THE F OFF!! If I can't see your front bumper when your behind I darn sure will brake check you. Maybe your texting on your Iphone or something and just need a visual reminder. If that doesn't work and we are on a two lane road with no shoulder I will gradually come to a stop and allow you to pass me. Tailgaters are just freaking morons who in most cases shouldn't even have a license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom