Camping out in the passing lane!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Contrary to what y'all may believe based on how most of you drive - semis don't own the damned road.

As a practical matter though they might as well. Getting in a pissing contest with a semi while driving a car is unwise at best and downright dangerous to lethal at worst.

It's even dumber if on a motorcycle.

We (CDL Drivers) have bad apples, as well as rookies, and ones who never got any more training beyond the basics. We are held to a higher standard on the road. If I get pinched for 15 or more over the limit, it's an automatic 90-day suspension.
It sounds like you have had some bad experiences on the road with semis. We can share the road, but it takes a lot of give & take as well as understanding some things from the truckers POV. Here's a link to the FMCSA site that has info you might find interesting: http://www.sharetheroadsafely.org/
My worst nightmare is a multiple vehicle injury or fatality crash involving my truck. Irregardless of who is at fault. Did y'all see the rockhauler truck laid-over on the elevated part of I-40 crosstown the other day? An SUV was reported to have cut the truck off, causing a multiple vehicle crash that they did not stick around for. The load of gravel dumped over the barrier and into the parking lot by Bass Pro. Bad scene.
One of my big issues is the scenario where I'm trucking along in the right lane, where you want me to be, right? A car is coming on the highway via the ramp. The car driver wonders why I don't just get over to let them on. What they can't see is another car to my left, right next to the tractor. I can adjust my speed, up or down to help facilitate a safe merge, but I will not slow down too much, since that usually makes things worse as the merging car also brake checks and we wind up at 20mph with traffic flying up behind me. Not safe.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my big issues is the scenario where I'm trucking along in the right lane, where you want me to be, right? A car is coming on the highway via the ramp. The car driver wonders why I don't just get over to let them on. What they can't see is another car to my left, right next to the tractor. I can adjust my speed, up or down to help facilitate a safe merge, but I will not slow down too much, since that usually makes things worse as the merging car also brake checks and we wind up at 20mph with traffic flying up behind me. Not safe.

I see this play out a couple times a week, on I-35 South bound there's a really short merge lane between 12th and 4th and it is all sorts of scary. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people try to "creep" out into traffic on that ramp. There is about 100 feet of space there, when you move into your opening you have to get up to interstate speed as fast as possible or YOU WILL BE CUTTING SOMEONE OFF and impeding the right lane. I don't even use the ramp anymore because I almost got sideswiped by a semi when a guy in front of me jumped on the gas making it look like he knew what he was doing - he had plenty of room to get on out in front of a big red rig so I was accelerating a little slower because I was headed for the gap behind the big rig. Then the guy in front of me hits his breaks, I guess he thought he didn't have the space which was as stupid as can be because he was already committed at that point, he was already 40% into the interstate. The truck missed me by what seemed like inches and I'm not exaggerating when I say there is NO chance there was a full foot in between the big rig and the guy in front of me, that guy must have wet himself because I thought I was going to get creamed and I had a few more feet of clearance than he did. Then the dill-hole in front of me shoots the bird at the passing truck - there were cars in the center lane so the rig had no place to go! I was furious, I wanted to go explain to the dill-hole up front how his ignorance could have killed all of us and that he need bury that finger in the place he keeps his head. But that's how some folks are, can't drive a lick and then get upset when everyone else can't manage to stay out of their way.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if i'm going along the interstate when traffic comes to a stop, and i look up in my rear view and see nobody anywhere behind me, i will put on my hazards.

does anyone else do that?

arguments for/against?

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are far more bad apples then good ones. Far more.

I'm sure you are right.... sir. I did notice that when you quoted me, you changed it by adding "Not safe" after the bad apples. Do you reckon that helps make your point? Would you like to start a "Bad apple Trucker" thread to cite the long list of wrongs inflicted upon you by evil truckers?

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see this play out a couple times a week, on I-35 South bound there's a really short merge lane between 12th and 4th and it is all sorts of scary. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people try to "creep" out into traffic on that ramp. There is about 100 feet of space there, when you move into your opening you have to get up to interstate speed as fast as possible or YOU WILL BE CUTTING SOMEONE OFF and impeding the right lane. I don't even use the ramp anymore because I almost got sideswiped by a semi when a guy in front of me jumped on the gas making it look like he knew what he was doing - he had plenty of room to get on out in front of a big red rig so I was accelerating a little slower because I was headed for the gap behind the big rig. Then the guy in front of me hits his breaks, I guess he thought he didn't have the space which was as stupid as can be because he was already committed at that point, he was already 40% into the interstate. The truck missed me by what seemed like inches and I'm not exaggerating when I say there is NO chance there was a full foot in between the big rig and the guy in front of me, that guy must have wet himself because I thought I was going to get creamed and I had a few more feet of clearance than he did. Then the dill-hole in front of me shoots the bird at the passing truck - there were cars in the center lane so the rig had no place to go! I was furious, I wanted to go explain to the dill-hole up front how his ignorance could have killed all of us and that he need bury that finger in the place he keeps his head. But that's how some folks are, can't drive a lick and then get upset when everyone else can't manage to stay out of their way.

That is one reason you might see trucks in the middle lane instead of the right while in the city. It's safer. When it comes to the freeway merge, we would rather you floor it and go.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if i'm going along the interstate when traffic comes to a stop, and i look up in my rear view and see nobody anywhere behind me, i will put on my hazards.

does anyone else do that?

arguments for/against?

It's a good idea. anything that gets drivers attention helps. It's also the norm for trucks ascending a grade when roadspeed falls below 45.

Latest posts

Top Bottom