Campus firearm bill sees new life, again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronin0829

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1shot(bob) sorry, cant help you with OU, dont work there. I said a University in Oklahoma, not University of Oklahoma. You are on your own with that one. Good luck.

Also, I wasnt trying to say I am against concealed carry on campus. I was saying if a person goes thru the required training to get a concealed carry license they should at least try to use the system that is in place while waiting for the system to hopefully change.

As for non-elected persons controlling your rights, the last time I checked the SCOTUS was not elected, but appointed, and they control a lot of your rights.

I cannot speak for any other LEO's as to their level of training. Me personally, I try to train at least once a week with both handgun and rifle. I have attended Active Shooter training about eight times in the last five years. All of this on my own time and money. Yes there are officers at my agency that only train to the minimum standard. Sorry I am not in a position to change that, I wish I could.

As for people exercising their right to carry weapons on campus, here are some I have dealt with:

Wife carried her concealed handgun onto campus to kill husband because he filed for divorce.

Student from another college carried concealed handguns onto campus to "get even" with some of our students for something that happened off campus at a bar.

I have personally arrested four DUI's and six intoxicated passengers that were carrying concealed handguns.

Oh how about the 10 to 12 loaded handguns we have found laying in the seats of unoccupied cars.....right next to the marijuana pipes.

My point in all this is that I am all for people exercising there right to keep and bear arms. Like the law says, concealed from detection. If you arent breaking the law and I dont have a reason to come in contact with you, how would I ever know you have a properly concealed weapon for personal protection.

Oh, and about carrying a concealed weapon in your backpack, thats great until you leave your backpack sitting in a class room and someone has to call the police to come pick it up. When they look in it to findout who the owner is there will probably be some explaining to do. And what about if it gets stolen or someone with the same backpack picks it up by mistake. If you are going to take a chance on carrying concealed where you shouldnt, at least carry on your body.

These are my personal opinions and not necessarily the opinions of the university I work for.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering how you lived in Tahlequah and worked in Norman. oh well, my fault for not reading closely.
Others abusing their rights should have no effect on my rights. It sucks when idiots carry guns, but that's the problem with a free society, even the idiots are free. C'est la vie!

Here's where I have problems withe the law. It says I have to meet certain restrictions to carry a weapon, but that violates my @A right to keep and bear arms. Which bears more weight? The law or THE LAW?

bob

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for people exercising their right to carry weapons on campus, here are some I have dealt with:

Wife carried her concealed handgun onto campus to kill husband because he filed for divorce.

Student from another college carried concealed handguns onto campus to "get even" with some of our students for something that happened off campus at a bar.

I have personally arrested four DUI's and six intoxicated passengers that were carrying concealed handguns.

Oh how about the 10 to 12 loaded handguns we have found laying in the seats of unoccupied cars.....right next to the marijuana pipes.

You didn't say anything about permits.

ronin0829

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont like the concealed carry law the way it is but that is what we have. Until it is changed that is what we have to live with. At least it is better than what a lot of states/people have to live with.

1shot(bob), you say that the restrictions to carry a weapon violate your right to keep and bear arms. I agree with you for the most part. But, those restrictions come from our own state constitution, not the 2A of the US Constitution:

Section II-26: Bearing arms - Carrying weapons.
The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his
home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power, when
thereunto legally summoned, shall never be prohibited; but
nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from
regulating the carrying of weapons.

As opposed to:

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Luckily we have state preemption or we would have municipalities within the state further restricting where we could carry.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What most people on the other side don't get is that concealed carriers are mostly sport shooters who improve their marksmanship for fun.

If "sport shooter" means someone who regularly shoots for recreation then I'll completely disagree with this statement.

The majority of people I see with CCW's never shoot their guns, never practice, and rarely check the condition of their firearm.

The people that shoot or train regularly, whether they are police or CCW holders, are a rare group.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom