carrying while with a felon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are all Sooo righteous aren't we? This thread has turned into a debate over whether a convicted felon loses his/her right to fair treatment and consideration by others. Emancipation? Lets us ALL try not to be so hypocritical. Remember that quite a few felons probably felt the same way before they were convicted.

BTW...75% of the offenders in PRISON, much less on Probation and Parole, are Non-Violent. Ever write a hot check? That is enough to get Five years in Oklahoma. (Regardless of your intentions) Try explaining that to YOUR neighbor hoping that they will be open minded enough to realize that just because your actions led you to a felony conviction, your might not be that horrible guy that steals your **** and cooks Dope in the garage. I would imagine that you would want to be judged by your actions to that person.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
really? i'll bet you carry a spare tire in your vehicle every where you go... thats just paranoid. You should only put the spare in the trunk if know when you're going to have a flat tire. Otherwise, its completely useless and serves no purpose... in fact, its paranoid. Living in fear of having a flat tire is just CRAZY!

Actually it would just be convenience that keeps me from lugging a tire in and out of my car... I agree with nofearfactor (to an extent) that not everyone needs to carry 24/7. Maybe it's not paranoia so much as force of habit for some. I know I feel naked without my cell phone in my front left pocket.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am one that doesn't carry 24/7, but I do carry more often than not. I also have at least 2 friends that I know are felons. I try to not carry around them, but they are still my friends. They didn't murder or rape anyone, they weren't cooking meth, they were just wrong place wrong time types. They are hard working good guys that would give anyone the shirt off their own backs if they needed it. A felony may make someone unable to carry or be around weapons, but it doesn't make them sub-human. Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time, felon or not. Just my thoughts.

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this hits pretty close to home for me. My father is a convicted felon and my brother will soon be getting out of prison from a drug conviction.

I carry every where it is legal for me to do so.
I will not disassociate myself from the man who raised me nor the brother who I grew up with. My father is 76yrs old and lives on my property in a separate house. I carry on my property for my protection and for my families,including my father, protection.

Just because a person was in the wrong place at the wrong time doesnt mean they are a bad person.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I am the oddball, I have friends that are felons, not that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, they did what they were convicted of, did there punishment, and went on with their lives. It was a case of greed or bad decisions.

I have a problem throwing away people for their mistakes, I am talking about non violent offenders. I was raised in the '70's when possession of any amount of marijuana was a class 1 felony. I have a friend that is a felon simply because he had a one hit bowl of weed in a bong in his trunk, and the stem had resin in it. Put that in perspective with a 3 time loser of DUI convictions, that killed 3 family members of one of our board members.

I still don't agree with taking away all felons gun rights. To me it is asanine to render some people defenseless for the rest of their lives for dumb decisions they made as young or even older adults. Do the crime, do the time, and move on. Yes, I carry around them, Lord knows someone around them needs to be able to defend themselves.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how easy it was for a friend of mine to become a felon recently.

Apparently you can lose your job,get behind on your child support payments,and if in Arkansas,be brought before the judge and if you cant come up with some cash like damn quick,you could be charged with a felony. Happened to a friend of mine just recently. A really good guy too,he just had some bad luck with his life. Lost his job,home,car,wife,kids,etcetc.

My wife wouldnt let me loan him the money or I would have helped him out. He has no family with the cash to do it. I feel so sorry for the guy.

His ex was even trying to get the court to be cool about the back support but this one Benton County judge is the C word when it comes to child support scofflaws and wasnt having any of it. When the woman apparently has to use government aid then they go after the man to get the money back. Regardless of whether you are unemployed,homeless and living in a seedy motel with no money- they want their money- or else.

He's now doing 21 months in jail on a felony child support charge. He had gotten behind a few times in the past and had to be reminded with letters. But he was paying on 3 kids and they will only review the cases every three years and he didnt have the money for rent much less a good lawyer to help him out with it. And his payments were based on his income when he had a high paying job. He had been totally unemployed about a year and was living on savings. Then his savings dried up. He went from a near 6 figure income to working temp jobs to no job to day labor when he could find it. It wasnt long before he was thousands behind.

I have payed child support for 8 years now myself and I dont have any problem with it,I even pay over what I'm supposed just because I want my kid to be taken care of and I can afford it. And conveniently my ex wife is my business partner too.

But I can understand when a guy has some bad luck and cant pay it until his luck gets better.The court though doesnt see it that way.What kills me are the real deadbeats who do all they can to avoid paying,hide out,dont work,move when they get letters from courts, and seem to never get in any trouble with it.

Anyways. Sorry for the long story but just showing how easy it was for someone I know to become a felon.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Felony child support sounds a bit like debtor's prison to me.

+1

And didn't I just see that in Pelosi's bill, you can become a felon for willfully not providing health care for you and your dependents? I am not encouraging it, but if it comes down to eating or paying for health insurance, I know what I am choosing, and could become a felon????

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gillman,your right. If this bill becomes law as is you can be fined up to $15,000 and if you dont pay you can be sentenced to prison for 5yrs for not buying insurance,the amount of insurance the Gov. says you need or the kind of insurance the Gov. says you should have.

Rex

Latest posts

Top Bottom