carrying while with a felon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I may sound like a contrarian here, but if we were to deconstruct that sentence, I believe that statement implies that the firearm has to be accessible in the car that the felon is riding in, not simply that the felon is in the same car as a firearm. It's the "nested or's" and the understood "to have" that makes it clearer if you re-insert the infinitive back in the various clauses.

Example:

to have in his or her possession OR
(to have) under his or her immediate control, OR
(to have) in any vehicle which the person is operating, OR
(to have in any vehicle) in which the person is riding as a passenger, OR
(to have) at the residence where the convicted person resides,

Anyway, I'm not the AG, so my opinion isn't worth beans in court, but I believe that's a reasonable interpretation of the law, otherwise it's possible to come up with perverse legal results such as additional charges for a parolee riding in the back of a police car in which the police are armed, etc etc.

I agree. Access and control are the keys as I'm reading it. Otherwise, a felon could violate this unknowingly 10 times a day.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another what if, your riding a bus and carrying and 5 guys get on, 2 are felons, one has a white hat on. 2 stops later it's 5:15 p.m. CST. Are you guilty of a crime?

Sorry, studying for the LSAT makes me jaded.

Not only is this funny as Hell, It makes a good point. One's intentions are as important as the act itself. I have worked for the Dept. of Corrections for a decade now and can tell you that PO's don't have the time to worry about this kind of crap. If the person driving is licensed to carry and has control of the weapon in THEIR vehicle, and no crime has been committed... NO ISSUE.

To those who say that you shouldn't ever be riding with a convicted felon; I say this: Oklahoma ALWAYS is in the top four for Male and number one for FEMALE incarcerations. This means that the chance of riding with a convicted felon is basically greater here than any other state in the union. Does this mean we have more "bad guys and gals"..NO It means that we have seriously strict laws and seriously tough Judges. Don't be so quick to condemn someone because of their past. Let their actions and INTENTIONS be what you judge them on. Then make a decision if you want to interact with that person based on that. Just like anyone else.

If the Dept. had known HALF of the stupid crap I did as a youngin', they probably wouldn't have taken a chance on my dumb ass. And just look how good I turned out!!!

:hey3:

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you guys are pretty close minded, one of my best friends is a felon. He didn't steal, it wasn't violent, and it was unrelated to drugs. There are quite a few misdemeanor worthy felonies in Oklahoma.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How observant of you, you are also on the Internet.

I agree with lilysdad. If he commits a felony, no matter what it is or if I agree with it meriting a felony, he is a felon.

That said, I don't have the same practices as him when it comes to associating with felons. BUT I also understand that he is LE, and that tends to look REAL bad and can cause unforeseen problems for family if a non-violent felon has a beef with a violent felon who realizes the non-violent hangs out with a cop and therefore must be a rat which should be properly disposed of.

That was the ONLY reason I dropped the idea of going into law enforcement, even as a reserve. It would tarnish my credibility as an LEO if I openly associate and do business with felons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom