1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Communications ...***

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by BadgeBunny, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Snake

Snake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Does anyone even use a HAM radio anymore?

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yeah, but I don't think it's anything like it used to be. From what I understand, you can get a license nowadays without even knowing Morse code.

The old guys were pretty dedicated. Not to say some still aren't.

3. jrusling

jrusling Sharpshooter

There are still quite a few of us. The band conditions have not been very good for HF though.

4. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Really? No one in the Lawton area? I guess I shouldn't be surprised

5. Snake

Snake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I really think HAM radio died.

6. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    There seem to be a bunch of guys in OK, just not around the Lawton area.

7. LinearZero

LinearZero Marksman

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Might have one more soon. I used to operate on radio extensively in a previous life. Ham seems right up my alley, and it would be pretty slick to listen in on the waves during storm seasons.

8. jrusling

jrusling Sharpshooter

I am in Mustang, but if I can help with any questions feel free to ask or PM me. KG5FBO

LinearZero and rc508pir like this.
  9. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have a Yaesu FT-8900R set up on a power supply as a base, a TDX One that was a gift for passing my test, a TYT digital handheld ( which was bought by a friend yesterday at the OKC Hamfest ), and another handheld out in my car. Ham is not a major hobby for me either. I plan on getting into it more later. The local ham club uses my class room for the testing. I hope to get my antenna pole up this fall.

10. p238shooter

p238shooter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    In NE Oklahoma we have a group that meets on the 147.06 Pryor repeater +offset, PL 88.5 every night at 10PM if anyone is interested. It is in an informal round table format.

Just several of us chit chatting about what ever topic someone brings up and anyone with a license is welcome to check in with us, throw out a comment, or ask a question. Very friendly and helpful group of guys. Very less structured than the typical rigid weekly club nets, and a great place for new hams to start out getting comfortable on the radio. We are not on a defined time frame, or have a particular topic. Just find an open space, throw out your call sign, and come back with your first name and location, we will be happy to talk with you. We do tend to double occasionally since it is not structured with a hard fast net control moderator, no big deal, it just happens. We recognize it, sort it out, and move on, just like on HF. Drop by some night and say hello.

I do not know about the OKC area, but ham radio on 2m, 70cm and the even the 220 band is pretty active in the Tulsa and surrounding area on several repeaters with nets on a nightly basis with various club nets. The most up to date listing of local NE Oklahoma nets can be found at http://www.qsl.net/mcarc Click on the Radio Nets button on the left side. It is updated frequently.

Many of us also work HF in the background even though other hobbies and grass mowing take up more of our time in the summer.

LinearZero likes this.