Confederate flag won't be up for breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure the guilty republicans will agree to some "reasonable" gun control that Obama and future president Hillary are calling for.

Speaking at the 83rd annual US Conference of Mayors Saturday, the former Secretary of State said she supported President Obama’s calls to further infringe on the Second Amendment if it means it will help the victims of “gun violence.”
Her highness Hillary

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's where it was supposed to start and end, yet, here we have Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc, not selling merchandise w the flag anymore, Warner Bros says they won't make the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard with the flag on the car anymore. As with gun control, they always start with "just this one thing" and it snowballs from there.

Walmart also doesn't sell nazi paraphernalia, that doesn't mean that nazi paraphernalia can't be purchased.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart also doesn't sell nazi paraphernalia, that doesn't mean that nazi paraphernalia can't be purchased.

And what about the rest? The removal of statues, renaming of streets, the flag being removed from the General Lee? They removed the flags from the college of Washington and Lee months ago. If the flags belonged ANYWHERE, it was there.

Here's the deal, this isn't even about Charleston anymore. It's turned into an issue of censorship. If they ban a symbol like a flag, it won't be long til they start calling for burning books. Same as gun control, they don't want "just this one thing and we'll leave you alone."

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And what about the rest? The removal of statues, renaming of streets, the flag being removed from the General Lee? They removed the flags from the college of Washington and Lee months ago. If the flags belonged ANYWHERE, it was there.

Here's the deal, this isn't even about Charleston anymore. It's turned into an issue of censorship. If they ban a symbol like a flag, it won't be long til they start calling for burning books. Same as gun control, they don't want "just this one thing and we'll leave you alone."

Why are streets, statues and other such items forbidden to change? Really, why can't the people of a city or state decide who and what they choose to honor?

Again, no one is banning anything, but removing them from public facilities. There are still national battlefields, reenactments, and private displays that all will continue.

Walmart and amazon are private groups. Either the market will punish them for what they are doing or it wont. It's a risk they are taking and not being forced by the government.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone should invent a way to put up and take down a flag without having to lay the flag pole down.
It's a battle flag.
It was intended to be attached to a pole and moved to locations visible to the infantry during battle.

It was never intended to be displayed in the way it is today.
If it was they would have made provisions for a way to raise and lower it more conveniently.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are streets, statues and other such items forbidden to change? Really, why can't the people of a city or state decide who and what they choose to honor?

Again, no one is banning anything, but removing them from public facilities. There are still national battlefields, reenactments, and private displays that all will continue.

Walmart and amazon are private groups. Either the market will punish them for what they are doing or it wont. It's a risk they are taking and not being forced by the government.

I get that. There's nothing wrong with changing something. But if you're changing it as a knee-jerk reaction after a tragedy, how far will the change go? People both in the private market and in gov't go a long way to please a mob when emotions are running high, just look at 9/11. It's a slippery slope to be on. And ultimately, it STILL won't stop racism or stop crimes like this from happening just like Patriot Act and TSA and NSA haven't stopped terrorism.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get that. There's nothing wrong with changing something. But if you're changing it as a knee-jerk reaction after a tragedy, how far will the change go? People both in the private market and in gov't go a long way to please a mob when emotions are running high, just look at 9/11. It's a slippery slope to be on. And ultimately, it STILL won't stop racism or stop crimes like this from happening just like Patriot Act and TSA and NSA haven't stopped terrorism.

That is all true. And despite the cries from it's supporters, i really haven't seen anyone claim removing the flag will end racism. Personally, I doubt anything will end racism. But just because it wont end racism doesn't mean it should be discussed or done.

And to be fair, efforts to remove the flag have been going on for a long time in the south. It's only now that there is enough momentum to overcome the 'good ol' boy' politics associated with it. Ole Miss is still arguing about a ban on the battle flag from football games several years ago (and technically, the flag isn't banned, but the sticks that the flags came on were banned).

The flag is neither wholly bad or wholly good. It seems like too few people on both sides want to admit that its a symbol that means many things to many different groups.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ok and I have some ocean front property for sale in Oologah! Get serious. This has nothing to do with the above statement. It has to do with the issue of race.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DANG IT!! just realized this shirt I have on is 100% cotton, I'm starting to feel a bit racist. Lord knows what terrible thoughts might cross my mind when I lay on my cotton sheets tonight.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DANG IT!! just realized this shirt I have on is 100% cotton, I'm starting to feel a bit racist. Lord knows what terrible thoughts might cross my mind when I lay on my cotton sheets tonight.

If it was made in the USA, i'm fairly certain no one was whipped in the process of making either item. So you should be good.

Can't vouch for products from other countries, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom