Conflicted.... Card#18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From my Cold Dead Hands.

Seriously, there is too much left unknown here.
It the firearm the only thing of value because I have no ammo?
or because they have ammo and no gun?
How far into this situation am I.
How many members of my family?
Just my wife and I?
Where am I?
How far from home or other family?

Too many questions left open here.
But not likely to give up my only firearm.
I wonder what happened to the other 99?
Must have lost them when I was fishing.

Dave

So many questions but only one solution. Get the food.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lets think for a minute. SHTF, we all have our version of how it could be and we have ideas on how we'd handle it.

Back in the 1920s we had a horrible drought followed by a Super bad, real life Depression. One could argue that was a SHTF event.

Drawing from that and learning from those old people who lived, died and suffered thru 20yrs of SHTF......

There was little, if any, game to hunt. Squirrels n Rabbits became scarce. There aint much meat on one to sustain a family for long.

Deer n Turkeys were even more scarce. As in hardly none in the State. Coon, possums sure you can trap them pretty easy but its not hard to trap them out fast.

Same with fish.....during droughts, ponds dry up, creeks dry up, lakes get over fished quick, so your down to Rivers....how many Rivers do we have?? Ask any hungry fisherman what happens when fish dont bite? Or when lakes n rivers freeze and fish go dormant.

As far as gathering "greens".....only during certain times and during the drought plants just dont grow.

Theres a reason why Okies packed up n migrated.....mainly out of desparation and hunger. And that was a Natural SHTF event. Something like a Nuclear war or Astroid or Super volcano...animals and plants could be easily contaminated.

Theres alot we can learn from our past history.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets think for a minute. SHTF, we all have our version of how it could be and we have ideas on how we'd handle it.
...<snip>...

Good points here.

What happens if something major goes down? Cattle ranches and stockyards suddenly empty. No food at WalMart.

Fisheries out of business.

Farmers not bringing crops to market.

We are able to support a population of 350 million in this country NOT because of its natural bounty, but because we've found ways to mass-produce food and process it and transport it to market. Let's face it - even trying to support 1% of our current population without mass-production capabilities would be painfully difficult.

All existing preserved food already ganked or eaten.

All of a sudden, thousands or tens of thousands heading out into the woods every day to hunt, fishing out ponds, lakes and rivers, etc. Could pretty quickly (easily in a few months) have most things hunted/fished out.

Scary thought.

But no, I'm not giving up my firearm.

And nothing in the scenario says the other people DON'T have firearms... just that they want yours. Maybe to ensure you're not coming back later to get "more" of their stores.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems that a major theme in all these cards is "kill 'em and take the ___". In this scenario it's apparent the two party's are meeting to barter. Killing them would be murder and stealing would be theft. Is that part of OSA members SHTF plans? Not mine, that's why I prepare.

I wouldn't give up my only weapon but I also would be hard pressed to come up with a reason I couldn't find food. The Great Depression line of thinking is awesome. I know my grandpa lived it and helped feed his family at an early age running hoop nets on the Washita for flatheads.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It seems that a major theme in all these cards is "kill 'em and take the ___". In this scenario it's apparent the two party's are meeting to barter. Killing them would be murder and stealing would be theft. Is that part of OSA members SHTF plans? Not mine, that's why I prepare.

I wouldn't give up my only weapon but I also would be hard pressed to come up with a reason I couldn't find food. The Great Depression line of thinking is awesome. I know my grandpa lived it and helped feed his family at an early age running hoop nets on the Washita for flatheads.

SHTF = No rules. I for one aint a trusting person. The name of the game is live thru the day. Murder, stealing, lying, Whatever it takes to see another sunrise. So yes, arm yourself, defend yourself and assume anyone will kill you for anything......btw dont breath my air. Ill live n let live but if my family/group needs something, ill take it the best way possible.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SHTF = No rules. I for one aint a trusting person. The name of the game is live thru the day. Murder, stealing, lying, Whatever it takes to see another sunrise. So yes, arm yourself, defend yourself and assume anyone will kill you for anything......btw dont breath my air. Ill live n let live but if my family/group needs something, ill take it the best way possible.

I'm not a very trusting person either, but I'm also not a murderer. No laws doesn't mean I don't have my personal morals, even if they get me killed.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not a very trusting person either, but I'm also not a murderer. No laws doesn't mean I don't have my personal morals, even if they get me killed.

We live by our personal morals. The problem is, we dont know if everyone else has same morals. Im not willing, esp under the absence of Law, to trust anyone enough to find out what theyre stance is on personal morals.

Trust is probably the one thing that binds a family or group. Trust is built over time.

No rules doesnt mean im gonna kill everyone I meet......No rules can mean Anyone I meet might kill me.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Back in the 1920s we had a horrible drought followed by a Super bad, real life Depression. One could argue that was a SHTF event.

Drawing from that and learning from those old people who lived, died and suffered thru 20yrs of SHTF......

There was little, if any, game to hunt. Squirrels n Rabbits became scarce. There aint much meat on one to sustain a family for long.

Deer n Turkeys were even more scarce. As in hardly none in the State. Coon, possums sure you can trap them pretty easy but its not hard to trap them out fast.

Same with fish.....during droughts, ponds dry up, creeks dry up, lakes get over fished quick, so your down to Rivers....how many Rivers do we have?? Ask any hungry fisherman what happens when fish dont bite? Or when lakes n rivers freeze and fish go dormant.

As far as gathering "greens".....only during certain times and during the drought plants just dont grow.

Theres a reason why Okies packed up n migrated.....mainly out of desparation and hunger. And that was a Natural SHTF event. Something like a Nuclear war or Astroid or Super volcano...animals and plants could be easily contaminated.

Lurker, Good, valid points (as usual). I guess I was just thinking that in the event of food crisis, people wouldn't be willing to trade that.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live by our personal morals. The problem is, we dont know if everyone else has same morals. Im not willing, esp under the absence of Law, to trust anyone enough to find out what theyre stance is on personal morals.

Trust is probably the one thing that binds a family or group. Trust is built over time.

No rules doesnt mean im gonna kill everyone I meet......No rules can mean Anyone I meet might kill me.

And I fully agree, but what I mean is I'm not going to be the aggressor and kill someone to steal their things. I'll defend myself and others to the best of my ability, but I'm not going to become a bandit just because it's no longer illegal.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just wait for the next set of cards... crazy done went off the deep end!.... oh did I let the cat out of the bag?

Latest posts

Top Bottom