Ducks!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Couldn't make it to the stand in time to hunt this evening so did a little duck scouting. Saw approx 50-75 redheads and pintails, just a few mallards, and prob 100 widgeon on the two ponds I usually hunt. May have to give it a whirl sat morn for the dogs sake.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how many of you guys have shot ducks with ankle jewelry?

The past two seasons I have been pretty focused on Goose hunting and have only shot a few ducks personally. There are always some committing to a field spread and I usually give first dibs to whoever is with me on the hunt. In fact I only shot one duck last season, a drake mallard that I shot just because nobody else wanted to shoot him when he came in. The season prior was a little different, I personally shot 30-40 ducks(which is still below average for me by a good bit). I have duck hunted over ten years now and have hunted them like crazy some years.

Anyways, to make a long story short, The the last field duck hunt I went onin the 2009-2010 season and the only duck I shot in the 2010-2011season were both carrying not one but two bands apiece. Both had $100 reward bands. I had never even seen a duck band until two seasons ago, and then I get lucky(its really about 95% luck I think) and shoot two of them.

I have several goose bands as well, but those duck bands are tough to come b in my experience.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Have been with guys who have shot geese with bands, but only one duck and it was a drake gadwall and he had two as well, $50 reward band and a regular band. That bird had traveled from Saskatoon to Nash, OK in 3 weeks, pretty amazing.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My coworker has shot thousands of ducks and only got one or two banded ducks

I was just curious about everyone else's experience. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, I'm still waiting for my first band.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
just drove up to aline west of enid. there are alot more duck up there than in the central part of the state. i did see one waterhole in a wheatfield north of dover that had about 60 ducks on it. i've got 2 duck bands a 1 goose band after doing this waterfowl thing for over 20 years.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Had a good morning, pins, reds, gads, and widgeon. Not a two man limit but close.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_36725_.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_36726_.jpg

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was running around the lake yesterday evening and saw a lot of mallards. Had about 30 of them on the water and four groups...about 40 more birds...dropped in on them in the span of about 2 minutes. That's the most mallards I've seen there in a long time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom