Ducks!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some second season birds.
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0499.jpg
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0505.jpg
i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0512.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
#2 son and I went out yesterday and did some pond jumping. We didn't see near the ducks that we saw before the split. Most of our ponds were empty or had 1 or 2 ducks on them. We shot 2 gadwalls and that was it yesterday. One of my good friends did get a mallard drake with a band from Canada on the 2nd season opening hunting at Sooner Lake.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#2 son and I went out yesterday and did some pond jumping. We didn't see near the ducks that we saw before the split. Most of our ponds were empty or had 1 or 2 ducks on them. We shot 2 gadwalls and that was it yesterday. One of my good friends did get a mallard drake with a band from Canada on the 2nd season opening hunting at Sooner Lake.

I shot 3 gadwall this past Sunday.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went duck hunting for my first time today out at Lexington WMA. I was going to go to Drummond Flats, but decided the 2 hour drive was just too long, since I really wasn't sure how to duck hunt anyway. I just did a little pond hopping and ran into a fellow hunter who asked if I wanted to join him and his lab "Bell". I was happy to and we hit up a few ponds I didn't know existed and would have never found if not for his iPhone with GoogleEarth.

We hit about 4 ponds and had some opportunities for ducks, but my aim wasn't that great :) Carl and Bell eventually called it a day, but I went to grab some lunch and came back for more. I decided to set up at Lake Dalhgren and try out my decoys. The helicopters from the Army National Guard base at Lexington were all over the place today. I saw Chinooks, Blackhawks, and even an Apache! About 30 minutes after settling in, a Blackhawk was doing some low level maneuvering and flew right over the lake at what I'm guessing was about 500', possibly lower. It goes without speaking that it was awesome to see.

A little while after the helicopter flew over, a group of 6 ducks flew in right to my decoy set. I was proud of myself for not opening up on them too early. I waited for them to flare, then popped up and fired off my three shots. If I was a better shot, I probably could have at least got two of them, but I did get one. I was stoked and waded out to get it. Unfortunately it wasn't dead. I grabbed it by the neck and tried to ring it, like my grandma told me she used to do with the chickens on her farm as a child. That didn't work (I probably wasn't doing it hard enough to be honest), so I took it back to shore and hit its head against a stump, which seemed to get the job done. I felt really bad because I hate to make them needlessly suffer.

After I killed it, I opened up my ODWC waterfowl guide I brought and tried to identify it. I think it's a drake gadwall...what do you guys say?

Sorry for the link to the picture...I'm not sure how to post pics in the forum.

My first ever duck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom