Egypt on the brink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My country (Romania) had civil war back in 1989 for the same exact reason. We caught our corrupt dictator and executed him on the military base with AK 47s against the wall. US never got involved. We need to let them deal with it, we have our own issues to deal with.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What policy should the US pursue in this case?

1. Support, and prop up the US friendly dictator as long as possible?
2. Support the general concept of freedom of individuals to protest their grievances against a repressive government?
3. Stay completely out of it and watch from the sidelines?

We need to let them deal with it, we have our own issues to deal with.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe. But we'll surely by there, whether they can or can't.

There is a point when the American people will get tired of sending their sons to fight somebody else's war. We need to distance ourselves from the Mid East, it has brought us nothing but trouble.
A couple of weeks ago I had to be physically searched for the privilage of flying, one more of the unintended consequences of our Mid East involvement.

My country (Romania) had civil war back in 1989 for the same exact reason. We caught our corrupt dictator and executed him on the military base with AK 47s against the wall. US never got involved. We need to let them deal with it, we have our own issues to deal with.

In fact I don't think our government should say anything at all. Anything they say will be against the interests of at least one side and the losers will remember it.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a point when the American people will get tired of sending their sons to fight somebody else's war. We need to distance ourselves from the Mid East, it has brought us nothing but trouble.
A couple of weeks ago I had to be physically searched for the privilage of flying, one more of the unintended consequences of our Mid East involvement.

In fact I don't think our government should say anything at all. Anything they say will be against the interests of at least one side and the losers will remember it.

And I guess "those people over there", whose ancestors were living in "advanced empires" and making important contributions to the world while others were still living in mud huts and counting on fingers and toes should be thankful for our help over the years?

[With the U.S./Israeli sponsored coup of 1953 that deposed Mossadegh, the popularly elected president of Iran, and installed the Shah in his place, the U.S. became the dominant imperial power in the region.]
http://www.csun.edu/~vcmth00m/iraqkuwait.html

And some of those other "people over there" who are the "children of Abraham" like the Jews who Christian Europe and America traditionally claim ties to,really should appreciate "Christian nations" sharing their wars and politics in their land.

[Few events in world history have had a more profound impact than that of World War One (1914-8)... The Middle East was no less affected by the conflict.]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/middle_east_01.shtml

The Syrian-Iraqi Baath party and its Nazi beginnings
http://www.eretzyisroel.org/~jkatz/baath.html

Should we for any stated reason intervene? And if so what would the true motivations be?, freedom, cheaper gas and easier travel, or corporate profit?

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should we for any stated reason intervene? And if so what would the true motivations be?, freedom, cheaper gas and easier travel, or corporate profit?

I believe that involvement has consequences. Like you mentioned with Iran, we got involved and I don't think it worked for us in the long run.
The first victim of war is the truth. You remember how every second word out of Bush's mouth was WMD. I believe that we need to stop finding reasons to go to war and turn our attention to our country which is in trouble.
The rest of the world needs to handle their own problems.
Right now we have about fifteen trillion reasons to focus here before we go bankrupt.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that involvement has consequences. Like you mentioned with Iran, we got involved and I don't think it worked for us in the long run.

The first victim of war is the truth. You remember how every second word out of Bush's mouth was WMD. I believe that we need to stop finding reasons to go to war and turn our attention to our country which is in trouble.
The rest of the world needs to handle their own problems.
Right now we have about fifteen trillion reasons to focus here before we go bankrupt.

Didn't appear to work out for the people of Iran either.

Yes we have many problems and few who recognize/admit to them. And when most know so little of the truth they often accept a wrong solution to the problem.

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false."
- Bertrand Russell

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like some there have already decided whose side we're on. Also a story on the internet situation there.

Tear gas used in Egypt riots by police against protesters was made in the USA
"The way I see it, the U.S. administration supports dictators," 26-year-old demonstrator Aly Eltayeb told ABC News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...gainst_protesters_was_made_in_the_usa__r.html

Egypt protests turn deadly as police open fire on crowds, death toll rises above 70

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...n_fire_on_massive_crowd_of_demonstrators.html

Egypt unplugs from Internet as protests loom; 'unprecedented in Internet history'

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-day-part-of-the-Internet-apf-1092937415.html?x=0

Latest posts

Top Bottom