Electronic gurus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee the power supply capacitors are gone. 98% of the time with electronics, the power supply has failed. IF, you know what you are doing you can usually find recapping kits for the TV model you have. Getting the damn TV apart is the big hurdle.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you. Have a 55 inch Samsung which has seen heavy use over the past 14 years. Had a 2008 Samsung 42 that lasted for 12 years as well until gave it to one of my kids. Stopped buying Sony products when I couldn't get 4 years out of a clock radio cd player.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's likely cheaper to buy a new TV than to have it fixed.

If you can find someone to work on it.
I ordered a new Insignia 70" from best buy for $420 yesturday. A buddy is coming over sometime to help me pick it up and get it set up. BB wanted $200 to deliver and set it up.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unplug, like forever…….we unplugged 2019, never looked back. It’s not called PROGRAMMING for nothing.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a new Insignia 70" from best buy for $420 yesturday. A buddy is coming over sometime to help me pick it up and get it set up. BB wanted $200 to deliver and set it up.

On the back of your Bravia, lower, left side (I think, may be right side, different models, different location) should be a postcard size (or larger) cover. Unscrew and lift cover. The power supply and fuse should be visible. Power supply is around $20. Fuse is a micro, glass tube, $11, IF you can find one. (AMAZON)

I have used spent .22 brass. Probably not smart, but it works.

The hardest part is getting TV where you can get to access.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the back of your Bravia, lower, left side (I think, may be right side, different models, different location) should be a postcard size (or larger) cover. Unscrew and lift cover. The power supply and fuse should be visible. Power supply is around $20. Fuse is a micro, glass tube, $11, IF you can find one. (AMAZON)

I have used spent .22 brass. Probably not smart, but it works.

The hardest part is getting TV where you can get to access.
I'll see if I can fix it and heve a backup tv but I already paid for.a.new one.

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unplug, like forever…….we unplugged 2019, never looked back. It’s not called PROGRAMMING for nothing.
We use televisions for computer monitors and to watch the tornado show. Wife does some streaming video. And old TV shows. She wants to give Gladys Kravitz a camera. :)

Think she's watched The Night Manager mini-series a bunch of times. Like twice this month alone! And Norhern Exposure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our Bravia 72" has been running great for over 10 years. It wasn't cheap with the 3D option that we have never used, but never argue with the wife.
It froze once. Spent a bunch of time going through YouTube and everything Chenry has done.
finally realized it was cabled through the DirectTV module. Unplugged that module and it still didn't work.
Finally got a tip that there is a little window on the front of the DirectTV modem to open that exposes a button. Pushed it and back to business. Never an issue since, but we have upgraded to a newer DT since then.
It was kind of funny once learning this hack. Buddy and I were at a car dealership with the wife's car to get a little recall issue fixed.
We went to the customer service lounge where the TV was dead. Guy came by, said sorry but we have a tech on the way to fix it.
I pushed that little button, and it was back in service.
Same guy came by a bit later and was shocked, asking what I did.
Told him I was a DirectTV rep and couldn't divulge company intel, but would have to kill it before leaving as they had already called for support.
Let him off the hook before leaving and showed him the button. It's hard to see behind that little cover.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 70" Sony Bravia TV and the other day it just quit, turned off by itself and I cant get it back on.
Is there any quick easy fix or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new TV?
Its about 5 years old and I sure thought it would last me longer than that, however its on for many hours a day every since I was working from home durring covid, I'd listen to Newsmax while I worked. Now I am retired and i turn it on to see news when I'm having coffee. Turn it off to leave and go do other things and back on later that evening until I get ready for bed. So it may be on 6 hours a day and if lifespan is based on hours of use, maybe its just done?
Best Buy has an Insignia 70" 4k UHD tv for $420 and it has a solid 5 star review by over 1,100 people. All say picture quality is great.
Go with the new TV. Replacing the power supply on that Sony would probably cost more (with labor) to troubleshoot your problem. JMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom