Embarasing noob AR question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also would not suggest leaving the weapon stored with the charging handle locked back either in my opinion.

To be honest I have never really ever locked my bolt back, other than when rifle locks it back after the last round ejects. I either then put in another magazine and release the bolt or if I am done I unlock the bolt and flip the dust cover back up for storage.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I have never heard about "possible" chargin handle dammage from leaving it loose and then releasing the bolt so........out came the beater Bushmaster practice gun...now DON'T try this at home trained proffesional at work! I did 50 such bolt drops with the charging handle loose...it still functioned fine, then I thought, well maybe if the bolt had a good running start to hit the charging handle, that would damage it, so....I did 50 more bolt drops with the handle about 1/2 way in/out depending on how you look at things, no damage, so I thought may be it is cumulative so I did 50 more. Now I am sick of this AND no damage or failure to function or any problems when shooting, there is just a hint of peening at the very end where the carging handle meets the bolt, but nothing bad. Now I wouldn't do it all the time, but after an admitedly single test subject with only 150 drops I can't say I saw any trouble. Maybe it only damages high end components like Bravo Company, Noveske, Land Warfare etc. and not G.I. Aluminum charging handles. Isn't it cool to have a carbine that you just don't care much about to enjoy torture testing?

Oh and since it was a slow day and I had nothing better to do, I ran over a G.I. 30 round mag with my 2500 Dodge ram truck with the Cummins motor in it, FRONT and back wheels passenger side, (not just the back wheels like a plastic mag maker did), cause It was loaded and guess what??? it still functions in the rifle, it is now a bit tight to get in and out, but it ran just fine for 90 rounds, BUT don't do it when they are empty.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of torture tests... I dropped a loaded pmag from my second story balcony on its feed lips and it split up the side letting all of the rounds shoot out. I squeezed it together, reloaded it, put it in my AR and it still functioned. But the rounds spew out if taken out of the AR. I dunno, kinda dumb I guess and I lost $5 on a bet and a $15~ pmag. O well.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have never heard about "possible" chargin handle dammage from leaving it loose and then releasing the bolt so........out came the beater Bushmaster practice gun...now DON'T try this at home trained proffesional at work! I did 50 such bolt drops with the charging handle loose...it still functioned fine, then I thought, well maybe if the bolt had a good running start to hit the charging handle, that would damage it, so....I did 50 more bolt drops with the handle about 1/2 way in/out depending on how you look at things, no damage, so I thought may be it is cumulative so I did 50 more. Now I am sick of this AND no damage or failure to function or any problems when shooting, there is just a hint of peening at the very end where the carging handle meets the bolt, but nothing bad. Now I wouldn't do it all the time, but after an admitedly single test subject with only 150 drops I can't say I saw any trouble. Maybe it only damages high end components like Bravo Company, Noveske, Land Warfare etc. and not G.I. Aluminum charging handles. Isn't it cool to have a carbine that you just don't care much about to enjoy torture testing?

Oh and since it was a slow day and I had nothing better to do, I ran over a G.I. 30 round mag with my 2500 Dodge ram truck with the Cummins motor in it, FRONT and back wheels passenger side, (not just the back wheels like a plastic mag maker did), cause It was loaded and guess what??? it still functions in the rifle, it is now a bit tight to get in and out, but it ran just fine for 90 rounds, BUT don't do it when they are empty.

Kurt, it has absolutely nothing to do with the CH being loose and dropping the bolt, but I actually enjoy the thought of you doing that for so long. The danger is in the CH being loose, period. With it loose, you run a very real chance of it being damaged by hitting, bumping, or snagging it on something.

Yes, I have seen this happen. In the real world.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AHHH Lillysdad...it isn't always about you! For instance Danny posted this "A word of caution. After you lock back the bolt, always push the charging handle back until it locks in place. You could damage it if you slap the bolt release and the handle is all the way back."

I was responding to just this above, not the "it can be damaged if it isn't latched" from your "real world" post.

Talking about " the real world" I have seen 6 charging handles bent by doing the "tactical, real world left handed slap" (as taught by several "real world tactical trainers" as a clearance drill) on charging handles with those big old "TACTICAL" latches, like Badger Bravo, etc.. Once the charging handle is bent the gun won't run.....in any world, real or not! If you haven't seen this, you should get out of the real world more often.

Are you sure you aren't related to someone in Alaska who also is in L.E.?

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youve seen a BCM Gunfighter bent by doing a malfunction drill?

While I have never bent a CH, I have spread the ears on several, so that the latch will not function. Regardless of how you view it, operating the charging handle with the left hand is the most efficient way to run the gun, and this is why the Gunfighter, and other designs, surfaced.

gyolai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont leave the bolt back ever!! once i noticed if it is locked back you can hit the buttstock on the bottom and the bolt will release... kinda scary

Latest posts

Top Bottom