Embarasing noob AR question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, in my many years of shooting I have mainly been a hand gunner with some shotguns and no rifles to speak of. I recently acquired my first AR-15. So here is the question:
How do I get the bolt to hold open? I know there is a bolt catch on the side, but I have not really even messed with it enough to figure this one out.
I originally was going to build one up from scratch so I would know how it works, but time got in the way. Any help would be great, and please keep the laughing and pointing to minimum.:sunbath:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The catch is the Ping-pong paddle on the left side of the rifle (mounted upper part of the middle of the lower via a roll-pin).

Rock this paddle down and pull the charging handle back to lock. Rock (or slap) the ping-pong paddle upward to release.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picture is upside down for some reason, but this is what it looks like. With the paddle in the upright position, depress the lower portion as you're pulling back on the charging handle.

[Broken External Image]

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of caution. After you lock back the bolt, always push the charging handle back until it locks in place. You could damage it, or you, if you slap the bolt release and the handle is all the way back.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of caution. After you lock back the bolt, always push the charging handle back until it locks in place. You could damage it, or you, if you slap the bolt release and the handle is all the way back.

It really won't hurt anything. The military actually teaches soldiers to release the charging handle from it's reward position and let it fly forward to chamber a round as part of the immediate action drill for a malfunction. They teach the accronym SPORTS which stands for:

1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
  2. Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
  3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform remedial action.)
  4. Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
  5. Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
  6. Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.
(FM 3-22.9, Apr 2003)

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Car, I think he is referring to a loose charging handle, not riding the handle forward. He is correct, once you lock the bolt back, the charging handle should be relatched to prevent damage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom