Fawns are dropping!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son saw an obviously still pregnant doe while riding around our place this afternoon, and I figured they were pretty well done having babies. However, I looked up a gestation chart, and we are only up to November 21 breedings. There could be yet another crop coming.

I generally hit one a year mowing here, and it pains me deep when I do. I always figure that was "the one" to be or breed the booner.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still haven't seen any baby's yet, although they stay pretty hidden when first born. My Britt usually finds them. I can watch him run the area, and when he does a quick turn around, and just stands there, I know its a fawn or a snake. Usually give him a beep on his collar to know if he advances, the next will be a correction. Only one rat snake so far this spring.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've already hit one here mowing, and I've started seeing them up and around with momma just within the last week. I also saw a big fat pregnant doe with another doe and fawn. This part of east Texas has what I've heard called a "trickle" rut, and we have does bred from mid October all the way through mid December. I've seen fawns with spots during bow season in October, and that would be from a really late breeder.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've already hit one here mowing, and I've started seeing them up and around with momma just within the last week. I also saw a big fat pregnant doe with another doe and fawn. This part of east Texas has what I've heard called a "trickle" rut, and we have does bred from mid October all the way through mid December. I've seen fawns with spots during bow season in October, and that would be from a really late breeder.

This is why I don't mow until early July, was going to do some tractor work today but got to thinking, those little fawns are gonna be all up in my tall grass, I'll wait till they can get up and move.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I don't mow until early July, was going to do some tractor work today but got to thinking, those little fawns are gonna be all up in my tall grass, I'll wait till they can get up and move.

I completely agree, but it's not as easy to refuse when you're mowing for someone else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom