Feral hogs on the deer lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son & I have a deer lease near Perry that we have used about 7 years. My son placed a cell phone-linked game camera this year which has resulted in our first sighting of feral hogs on this property. My question is how best to deal with these when one gets in range. Not particularly interested in processing for meat, just dealing with the problem. I guess the coyotes & buzzards have to eat but I don’t want to adversely affect the deer hunting, either. The bonus is the farmer says it’s worth a 6-pack per pig to him to be rid of them.

How about it, wise ones of OSA?
I have pigs off and on. My experience is you shot a couple and they leave for a while. It's a constant game of "what will show up this time?" but I'm ok with that. (I eat pigs, deer, whatever)

This year it seems like the deer and pigs are coexisting with each other, that's not always the case.

The answer as always is - violence. Shoot 'em and see where it goes from there. If you want any tips on processing or cooking them, just ask. We eat a bunch of free range pork at my house.

feral

Armish farmer
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1730122038790.gif

Kangaroo1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Word of advice on the "coyotes will eat them overnight" stuff, if you want that to happen, split them open, they have tough hide and aren't as easy to tear apart as a deer. We have had them lay for days before the coyotes and buzzards started in on them. Its not an always and for sure thing but opening them up makes it much, much easier for the other critters to get at them.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a hog one time while deer hunting around 8:15 am. I left him laying there for the remainder of the day. Three times that day several does came by and they would pause and stretch their necks to look at the hog and they would walk back and forth looking at him and then make a wide path around him and go back to their regularly scheduled program. They presented several opportunities for a shot. So it could be to your benefit to shoot one while hunting but that depends on your situation. For me I shoot any and all varmint’s whenever they present an opportunity, because I believe that now there is one less problem out there.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I shot my first hog, I had plans to eat it until I smelled it. Nope. Wrapped a wire rope around its legs and dragged it several hundred yards away from my stand. Very offensive odor. Or, I guess maybe I'm just easily offended.

Sometimes the dead ones are gone the next day, sometimes they're still there a week later. There may be something to cutting them open. Hadn't thought about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom