Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught this little guy out of my pond. I had to quit fishing, because my dog was swimming after my buzz bait on every cast.:rolleyes2
70B76CAF-8A6B-4B58-929E-FCF94FC6E0BB.jpeg

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is 14" minimum for walleye/saugeye where I was fishing. I won't keep one below 16" because I don't have any trouble filling limit with fish 16" and over.

What depth of water were you fishing for cats? How far off bottom was your bait? A lot of variables, but that will help to start with. Frozen cut shad, fresh or store bought? Sometimes fresh is best.
View attachment 205651

I’d love to know your technique for the saugeye. I almost had a 20+ incher today. Snapped my line right at the dock because I was using lightweight test for crappie and didn’t have a way to get it onto the dock without just lifting it up with the rod. I didn’t have gloves and wasn’t going to stick my hands in his mouth haha. It was pretty traumatic lol. I’ve only ever caught saugeye as a bonus while crappie fishing. I’d love to figure out how to target them.

Another guy at the dock caught a 3-4 pound channel cat with a crappie jig, so I guess that’s the trick at Thunderbird for cats.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d love to know your technique for the saugeye. I almost had a 20+ incher today. Snapped my line right at the dock because I was using lightweight test for crappie and didn’t have a way to get it onto the dock without just lifting it up with the rod. I didn’t have gloves and wasn’t going to stick my hands in his mouth haha. It was pretty traumatic lol. I’ve only ever caught saugeye as a bonus while crappie fishing. I’d love to figure out how to target them.

Another guy at the dock caught a 3-4 pound channel cat with a crappie jig, so I guess that’s the trick at Thunderbird for cats.
Grab the saugeye behind the gills to get them out of the water.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn’t accusing you of breaking the law. I had assumed 18” was a state size limit, and was surprised it wasn’t.
I was using fresh shad.
No worries.

Probably just a depth/location difference. I am not much of a catfisherman. If you aren't getting bit, keep moving until you find em. They are moving up on shallow flats right now and will be around feeder creeks after the good rains. Can't beat a glob of worms when lake levels are coming up and you find where the water is coming in.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught this little guy out of my pond. I had to quit fishing, because my dog was swimming after my buzz bait on every cast.:rolleyes2
View attachment 205730
That fish reminds me of myself. Lol. My legs haven't tanned yet this year. Lol. Nice bass. I need to take my dog out on the boat to see how he does.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I like to net all my saugeye. I use light line and the teeth can be hard on line.
Seriously, where you pulling them walleyes from?
Worms in 6'-14' of water where bottom transitions from rock to sand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom