Food plot in September???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your pretty much stuck on winter/cool season plot. I would go with wheat, rye, etc. but you could throw in some cowpeas or other legume if needed. Don't get into a hurry however as the grasshoppers could wipe out 1 acre in just a few days.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been having really good results with forage oats. The brand I like the best is Bob Oats. You can plant them anytime in Sept and if we get some rain you will have a food plot.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
I plant my wheat and oats after the fall equinox. Last several years I have been planting buck forage oats and having good results. Then in the spring bale it and sell it to a neighbor as oat hay.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Did some brush hogging this evening................big bluestem was over my head, ragweed was over the top of the front end loader when fully raised! Good thing I don't have a ragweed allergy, my red tractor was almost completely yellow with pollen. Grasshoppers were almost to plague proportions, my sunglasses served for more than just shade, I would have lost an eye with out them, constant grasshopper collisions to the face and chest......................a new food plot wouldn't stand a chance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did some brush hogging this evening................big bluestem was over my head, ragweed was over the top of the front end loader when fully raised! Good thing I don't have a ragweed allergy, my red tractor was almost completely yellow with pollen. Grasshoppers were almost to plague proportions, my sunglasses served for more than just shade, I would have lost an eye with out them, constant grasshopper collisions to the face and chest......................a new food plot wouldn't stand a chance.

I spent 11 hours today doing the same thing. The clutch on the brush hog failed, (second brush hog in a week to need repairs)so went with the bigger tractor and disk. The sunflower stalks are 12' tall and 2-3" in diameter. The disk pretty much rolled over the top of them.
They were so thick that I lost traction on a 10000 pound tractor more than once. The tires rode up on the stalks, and just spun until I could get the disk up, and move off of them.
Went over the plot three times today in different patterns, and its looking better, but still not ready to plant.
The grasshoppers were like getting hit with paint balls, and I kept thinking the tractor or disk was having a problem until discovering the disk was whip lashing the sunflowers and hitting the rear fenders.

Daylight tomorrow morning, I'll be back after it.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine mowed and disced Monday and Tuesday. I wanted to spray first, but the grass was 5' high so I'm doing it a bit backwards this year. I had to mow everything twice and disc it at least twice, three to four times in some places. Should have mowed and sprayed in early July!! Even at that, the seed bed is not completely clear. I'm planning to go back next week and spray with Gly to kill anything that is still alive and any weed seed that has sprouted, then drag to smooth it out a bit and break any crust that formed. After dragging, I'll broadcast rye, oats and peas, pull the cultipacker over it, then broadcast clover and tillage radishes, cultipack again and hope for rain.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's not too late, but if you're gonna do it, this weekend would be what I consider your last chance.

we mowed and harrowed last week, put glysophate 45% down yesterday evening. Planning on cutting again this weekend and putting fertilizer down, waiting to mid next week and broadcasting seed, quick harrow job and water, then pray. Grasshoppers are bad, that's for sure. They will surely affect yield from our plots.

We're going to try a couple of bags of no-till this year, see how they work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom