Food plot in September???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are cheaper and easier ways to hunt white tails, sure. For me, there's more to it than that. Working food plots is a labor of love, great way to spend some quality time on the property, get the kids involved (free labor!) and just 'be' with the land.

All this work usually means we have several good sized bucks coming in on the does we are holding with the food plot. The deer go where the forage is best. We have the triple threat of good cover, good water and good food. This holds the deer pretty well.

The satisfaction of being a good steward of the land and the white tail population is immeasurable.

and yes, we're a little nuts.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a day off and spent about 8 hours brush hogging and discing on my new Mahindra yesterday, same issues, ragweed and johnson grass over my head in some places, I am trying to work in about 4 food plots, have 2 close to being ready to plant, had to add weight to disc harrow to get it to disc the ground but I have the plots turned pretty well now,

Any suggestions or ideas for a cultipacker substitute? the plots are all lumped up, dont have a bunch of money to spend but need something to prepare seedbed and to get soil/seed contact after planting

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's a question: do you all use peletized fertilizer or a liquid?

We've been using peletized, but are thinking about switching to a liquid we can put down quickly behind the tractor.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The next time I run across a piece of culvert, I'm going to build one of these. I'd rather it be a steel one so I could weld the ends up and center shaft, instead of what they did here. Really wouldn't even need bearings if you didn't mind a little squeak now and then, add weight and go.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_PACKER_zps39d8db0a.jpg

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Deer Slayer! I will call you when I am ready to plant.

That is a pretty cool build! I would use steel as well I would be concerned this one wouldn't last, wouldn't cost much to replace it though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom