Food plot in September???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The next time I run across a piece of culvert, I'm going to build one of these. I'd rather it be a steel one so I could weld the ends up and center shaft, instead of what they did here. Really wouldn't even need bearings if you didn't mind a little squeak now and then, add weight and go.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_PACKER_zps39d8db0a.jpg

Fill it with concrete. no bearings needed. I probably have a piece laying around somewhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That will work, need to find somebody with a 60' Big Country to work me a 1 acre food plot:)

I'm close. I've got the Mahindra and a 6' disk in the round top. Off work for 4 more days.

I'll have to post pics of my roller. Its designed to be pulled behind an atv or garden tractor. Too dark to get a good pic tonight.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That will work, need to find somebody with a 60' Big Country to work me a 1 acre food plot:)

1 acre food plots are no more than a snack. I honestly don't feel the work on those is worth it, because they eat it faster than it can grow and it dies out.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1 acre food plots are no more than a snack. I honestly don't feel the work on those is worth it, because they eat it faster than it can grow and it dies out.

Depends on what you plant. Legumes, can be browsed out of a plot, but wheat/oats, etc can be eaten most of the way to the ground and rebound. Last year grasshoppers ate up my 3 acre food plot, so I replanted, and they ate it again. One frost that got rid of the hoppers, and it came back very thick.

The grasshoppers are so thick this year, that I'm putting off planting until mid September. There won't be much there for the bow season opener, but the feeder will keep them occupied until the food plot matures.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to have the feeders probably more than the food plots. I think the feeders or corn piles will keep the deer coming by and grazing (interested). In our area wheat is common but the deer want the corn or wheat cleaning piles. We've all seen deer on a wheat field and when the feeder goes off they come running. Yea the bucks are leary but will be there, eventualy.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As Dennis said, it depends on what you plant, maybe more importantly, where you plant it!! I've seen wheat fields in NW OK with 50-60-80+ deer on them, but you won't see that deer density in most of the state!!

I plant food plots in Osage Co., they do draw deer, but we don't have high deer density like you see out west, so a 1 acre plot works pretty well here. The western side of Osage Co. is different than where I hunt. My area has a lot of oaks and virtually no agricultural planting, the western part of the county has fewer oaks and more crop land. By planting several 1 acre food plots, I'm not trying to supply all the food the local deer need to survive, I'm trying to attract and hold the deer on my property.

I hunted Western OK for several years and killing a nice buck was MUCH easier out there. We knew the deer were going to the crop fields to feed and we could usually figure out the bedding areas and pattern deer movement.

In an area that is predominantly oaks, when the acorns are dropping, you can forget patterning based on food sources. There is generally enough cover, water and food for the deer to bed, feed and hide anywhere.

I have seen corn piled up 6-8" high under a feeder when acorns are available, so feeders can be useless too.

My point is, your experience may not apply to the conditions in another part of the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom