Garand makeover questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Got it from AKguy1985. It's a 1955 HRA with some Springfield parts in it, but it appears that the stock and handguards are original to the gun (unless an armorer specifically refurbed it with an HRA stock). I sent detailed pics to another member of the assemblies and he said it wouldn't take too much to make it a correct grade, which I may do someday. I just got in 5 cans of Greek M2 ball from CMP, so I'm gonna shoot her some before I do anything else! :)

and i got it from a collector in south carolina, came in the CMP box it was shipped in. The H&R i have now is 19,561 earlier than yours.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when get it ready for finish get some future acrilic foor finish.put on a coat. fine steelwool it off 3 times beteen coats.leave it steel wooled for drab finish. or dont steel wool it for bright finish. i have been doing this for 20 or 30 yrs. ps u can seal the iside of stock with it too.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP, don't think that just because your Garand isn't "all correct" that it has no collector value. Guess what -- 99% of all Garands aren't "correct". Most of them had parts swapped out as part of their normal use in military issue, and most of them saw a re-arsenal as part of their history, too.

Is it an import (like a Blue Sky)? Is it a commercial Garand (like a CAI)?

My recommendation is to keep it as close to military config as possible to help it retain it's value. If you need to go with some kind of sight other than the stock peep sights, well, then go with another type of rifle.

If you want to re-barrel, re-park, or re-stock, the options mentioned so far are all good. Shuff's, Warbird's Custom Guns, Dean's Gun Restorations, and Fulton Armory are all reputable places to have the work you're looking for done.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP, don't think that just because your Garand isn't "all correct" that it has no collector value. Guess what -- 99% of all Garands aren't "correct". Most of them had parts swapped out as part of their normal use in military issue, and most of them saw a re-arsenal as part of their history, too.

Is it an import (like a Blue Sky)? Is it a commercial Garand (like a CAI)?

My recommendation is to keep it as close to military config as possible to help it retain it's value. If you need to go with some kind of sight other than the stock peep sights, well, then go with another type of rifle.

If you want to re-barrel, re-park, or re-stock, the options mentioned so far are all good. Shuff's, Warbird's Custom Guns, Dean's Gun Restorations, and Fulton Armory are all reputable places to have the work you're looking for done.
What your talking about is pretty much the plan. Im only re-barreling and re-stocking because I have to. I've shot the barrel out and the stock is broken completly into two (its held together with finishing nails right now, a 5 minutes before the match quick fix).

I know it's still worth some money, but I'm not to worried about it because I'm NEVER selling this gun. I don't mind putting a LITTLE of my own tastes into it (such as a slightly non-origional finish on the stock) because it's mine, and never going to be anyone elses. And doing what work I can myself, and choosing this or that finish, just makes it that much more personal for me.

Long story short, this gun and I are very close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom