Gardens 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m old enough that I completely appreciate the raised beds.
This is the third year that I’ve tilled and planted a garden in Alabama; and once again, in just less than two weeks while we visited Oklahoma, it grew up high with weeds (even covering the agricultural cloth with which we had experimented). However, the agricultural cloth prevented me from mowing the weeds down. It rained profusely in our absence; and sparsely since our return. We’ve gotten about (3) quarts of blueberries, plenty of small tomatoes and a few squash, though. I’m starting to assemble some raised beds to discourage rabbits and make things easier to weed.

I bought blem concrete blocks over at Dolese off I240 and Sunnylane for $1 a block when I built our last ones.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I showed the wife your Strawberry Plants, she is just sick about ours. One of the sheep is an escape artist and opened a chainlink gate latch!

She said yours look so good!
I have goats and dogs that are good at opening those gates so I installed springs that keep the latch down

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My garden is going to burn up if we don't get some rain. Everything is wilting in the heat. Can't afford our high water department. It's $47 before I use any water.
As much time, effort and $$ you put into getting your garden where it's at, I think just gotta water what's needed and sell more to cover it! I have pulled everything except tomatoes, peppers, cucumber(although doesn't like this heat and very few blooms), carrots, okra and cantaloupe. I went from running my sprinkler in the mornings to just the hose set down at the base so no foliage gets wet - just the roots/lower area. With no rain in the immediate forecast, it's going to take daily watering just to keep things alive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom