Get Home Bag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Get Home Bag is a Blackhawk Battle bag with Glock 19 w/TLR 1s light +3 magazines loaded with Federal 9BPLE, Leather Surge multi tool, topo map of my area, compass, GPS, extra batteries for GPS and tac light, 6 power bars, naglagene 1qt water bottle with stainless canteen cup, 50 ft 550 cord, Streamlight ProTc 2L light, basic survival kit (Covers Fire, Water, Shelter, Navigation, Food, Signal) Basic First Aid kit (Covers scrapes to big bleeding), Small weapons cleaning kit for the Glock, Note taking gear, $200.00 cash in various sized bills (mainly small bills), phone number list of all my contacts incase my cell phone is not working, Copy of CCW, drivers license, Social security card, Cell phone.

This bag goes with me everywhere I go. Also my car has a big first aid kit, extra clothing, blankets and water. I am not planning for a SHTF situation or anything like that but having piece of mind in case of an emergency is priceless. I have actually had to use the car first aid kit on friends, family and myself more than once but as of today I have never had a reason to actually use the Battle Bag. I do have a Bug out Bag but it is really set up as an INCH (I'm Not Coming Home) bag more than anything. It sets quietly in a closet, ready.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing several of you listing Topo Maps, and I ask this to understand why your carrying it, not being a smarta$$.. But is it just cuz I'm close to the city that I don't understand the point of carrying a topo? I can brainstorm some ideas, like that if I was out in the country it would help me locate water sources in my area that I was unaware of.. and I just finished 10 years in the Marine Corps where the last 3 serving as a combat instructor teaching privates Land Nav, so I'm knowledgable of maps, compasses, GPS, etc etc.. Im just not seeing the importance of a topo map and compass living and operating in an area that I'm very familar with.. I'm asking so those of you carrying one can explain your reasonings behind it..

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry but im with you. Im familiar with most of Oklahoma. Enough so that i could find the general direction i need to go.

I just cant fathom a reason why i would ever have to walk from my house to Muldrow or Guymon. My old feet couldnt survive that hike, lol.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry but im with you. Im familiar with most of Oklahoma. Enough so that i could find the general direction i need to go.

I just cant fathom a reason why i would ever have to walk from my house to Muldrow or Guymon. My old feet couldnt survive that hike, lol.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thats exactly where my head is at.. If I was going out of state/country, absolutly, I want Topos, Compass, GPS everything.. But when on a month to month basis i'm never more than 20-50 miles from home, I'm not seeing the necessity of a topo,.. theres to many visual reference points,landmarks, majority of roads run North/South or East/West.. But again, I'm hopin there are educational reasonings behind it that i'm not figuring out..

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Former Marines needs an explanition of WHY to carry a topo map? I think I have heard it all! Because of your unprecidented knowledge of the subject and your time teaching young Marines how to properly navigate I am sure that you know a topo map shows things that road maps do not. I have all the roads in my area nearly memorized but I do not have the terrain features memorized enough to just wing it. I too am a Former Marine and have instructed land navigation both in Bridgeport CA as a Summer and Winter Mountain Leader and in the swampy netherworld of Camp Lejeune NC. So a quick list of why to have a topo map. 1) Route planning 2) having a place to mark the location of potential future resources 3) locating water sources (not just ponds but well heads) 4) Having a media to show others in my group the terrain that we will be covering 5) Having the ablity to tell others in my group where I am and they can tell me where they are at if we get seperated, an MGRS 6-8 digit grid. Yes a GPS will do this for me without a map but what if the GPS is not working. Using terrain association I can located myself on the map without the GPS.
As far as including a topo map in your BOB goes it is up to you. For the weight of the paper I choose to carry it. CHEERS and Semper Fi

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outstanding.. And thanks for your response.. Thats all I was curious about was someones reasoning behind it..I agree and understand your answers, but I feel in your explination you incorporated and included bugging out/Relocating tactics with the contents of your Get home bag, and thats what I was originally asking about, strictly the reasoning behind a topo in a Get Home Bag, so No Does "A Former Marines needs an explanition of WHY to carry a topo map?".. Becuz In a bug out/relocating bag, and making movement with family and fellow operators, Absolutly will the use of topos and compasses come into play. and Semper Fi Devil..

Last edited:

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outstanding.. And thanks for your response.. Thats all I was curious about was someones reasoning behind it..I agree and understand your answers, but I feel in your explination you incorporated and included bugging out/Relocating tactics with the contents of your Get home bag, and thats what I was originally asking about, strictly the reasoning behind a topo in a Get Home Bag.. Becuz In a bug out/relocating bag, and making movement with family and fellow operators, Absolutly will the use of topos and compasses come into play. and Semper Fi Devil..

I guess that my Get Home Bag and my BOB are actually the same thing, it is no 72hr setup but I would feel comfortable with the contents in an emergency. At home I have a large LCS88 military bag that is set up and waiting but it really is a little large to carry around all the time. My GHB is a little smaller than a breifcase or laptop bag and is about 10 pounds +/-. I have tried the larger BOB idea and it always shrinks to what I carry now. CHEERS

Latest posts

Top Bottom