Getting closer on first AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After some waiting I finally received my upper from Daniel Defense a couple of days ago. I went ahead and ordered some Troy buis and will be buying a bcm bcg and gunfighter charging handle next week of so. I originally wanted to build a basic AR to get started but that has since flown out the window. This will be my go-to rifle so I want to know that it is going to perform well.

Heres what I have so far.
DD 16" lw midlength upper with 14.0 lite rail
Spikes Lower
DD lpk
Moe grip
Pmags
Troy buis
BCM BCG- soon
BCM Gunfighter CH- soon

The only thing I haven't decided on is the stock. I have worn my gun funds down and would like to get the moe stock set from palmetto (I figure it's a better option than m4 for not too much) just to get me rolling. I just worry that it may be too light for this style rifle. I know people run them on 16" barrels with the 12.0 frequently so I imagine it would balance alright. I would like to run an A5 but will have to wait a little bit for that. Especially since I still need mags/ammo/sling/light etc...

I'll quit babbling. Here is some bad iPhone pictures

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v374_claricae86_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_0275.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v374_claricae86_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_0278.jpg

[Broken External Image]

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea it is, probably too much but I bought the upper from smartgunner and all the rails were the same price. I think I'll like the long sight radius and if need be can always trade for a 12.0. I'm also 6'5 so i may actually be able to reach out that far, we'll see once I get the stock.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what barrel DD uses for their lightweight uppers (I didn't think they made a 16" pencil-profile), but if it weighs anything at all more than a carbine setup, I'd get a VLTOR EMOD - they're on sale everywhere on the net for around or under $100 and it will balance that rifle out nicely.

I wouldn't spend any money on the stock at all if its going to be a temporary thing until you can upgrade - M4 take-off stocks are out there all over for a little bit of nothing and it will work while you save up for something better.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your right ezbake. It may be easiest just to get a basic m4 stock set from Steve @ coldhand or something. After piecing this thing together since November I am starting to get anxious.

Maybe I could just grab an Emod and get the A5 buffer set later on.

Overall how does the build look? I know the long rail is not most peoples cup of tea but I planned this to be a mid weighted rifle with long rail and 1-4 optics. I am a "buy once, cry once" type of guy and am trying to make educated purchases here. I feel that so far I have done a pretty good job for my first AR.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good so far, consider a Magpul UBR or ACS stock along with the Emod or even an LMT stock.

I agree - I think that build looks pretty good so far (although, if no one's told you yet, you've got to penises on your lower - I didn't realize it until after I built my Spikes and someone showed me, but now I can't see anything other than that).

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107715

The UBR would be another good choice - I'm not really a fan of the ACS or LMT's SOPMOD, but they are both very well-built stocks.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I caught that thread recently, I'll have to draw some boobs somewhere on the lower to even it up a bit.

I would love to run an UBR. Now if they just redisgned it to work with the A5 system

Latest posts

Top Bottom