Gibson Guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hearing the CEO talk about this issue. I guess they buy wood for foreign countries and they bought Wood from the country of India. Well i guess India has a law that in a nutshell says that they (the country) can only export finished goods and not raw materials. So when Gibson imported the wood it was a finished product in India's eyes however when they bent the wood Gibson was modifying the wood so it is a raw material. So this is the issue the Government is making a big stink at. In addition the CEO stated that the Feds are harassing his employees trying to make them make up allegations that are not true. So he basically challenged the Gov to take him on and leave his employees alone.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gibson and Epiphone closed up in Kalmazoo years ago. They have been using the names and logos for a long time (to market a lesser product).

The dillution of Famous brands and the hemoraging of JOBS has been going on for over 40 years now. This is just a progressive extention of "old news".

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, you ain't seen nothing yet. I confidently predict that, if Obama has another 4 years, you simple won't be able to recognize this country in 10 years. Simply to repair the damage already done will be a monumental task. I wouldn't be the next President on a bet.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got 3 Gibsons in my fairly large guitar collection, a collection Ive been building and acquiring guitars since I started playing professionally in the mid 80s. My Gibsons I have an 86' Les Paul Custom, an 02' LP Standard Plus top, and an 05' LP Standard. I really dont care where the mahogany, maple, or rosewood came from to build them myself and I dont care if they quit making them either because of the wood problems, it isnt going to hurt me because Ive got enough high quality guitars even besides the 3 Gibsons I have to do the job I get paid to do with them that paid for them in the first place.
Ive been waiting years and years though for something like this to happen, mostly because of the over farming of exotic woods they use in making the higher end guitars. This India rosewood thing is just a technicality over import/exports. Lower grade guitars are all mostly made of MDF and cut and glued stacks of plywood so there will never be a shortage of them for the majority of young working musicians/guitarists who cant afford the higher quality quitars. This thing is just a bump in the road for the few people who can even afford guitars like Gibsons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom