Gold, Silver or Ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wy_Bound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and live in AL...not many forums in this state. We've been prepping in our own unique (prob incomplete) ways. We have many old coins which to barter with but also have food, water, MRI's, and medicine stored up. But no prescription meds...not sure how we could get them since we don't use them. We have ammo in most popular cal's including 556, 308, 270, 40, some 45, 22 mag, 22, 45 LC, 410, 12 ga, 20 ga, and reloading supplies for all of them. I also have many guns in the same cal's that I could use for trade. The way I see it, the community where I live in rural AL will come together to share and defend. Since we live on a large lake, water will be a non issue. We can hunt as a community to feed ourselves. My biggest fear is gasoline and diesel. We don't store other than the cans and since we don't have livestock, our bicycles may be our only transportation when the petro runs out.

Greg

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and live in AL...not many forums in this state. We've been prepping in our own unique (prob incomplete) ways. We have many old coins which to barter with but also have food, water, MRI's, and medicine stored up. But no prescription meds...not sure how we could get them since we don't use them. We have ammo in most popular cal's including 556, 308, 270, 40, some 45, 22 mag, 22, 45 LC, 410, 12 ga, 20 ga, and reloading supplies for all of them. I also have many guns in the same cal's that I could use for trade. The way I see it, the community where I live in rural AL will come together to share and defend. Since we live on a large lake, water will be a non issue. We can hunt as a community to feed ourselves. My biggest fear is gasoline and diesel. We don't store other than the cans and since we don't have livestock, our bicycles may be our only transportation when the petro runs out.

Greg

Glad you found the site! I'm actually more concerned about my neighbors than anyone to begin with, I fear they will start stealing and turn on each other. I was reading a thread about the east coast hurricane, and a few guys were talking about all the stolen generators around there neighbor hood. I don't think with the lack of gas someone traveled very far to steal a generator.
The gas concerns me also, it goes bad so fast. They do have some fuel stabilizers that seem to work well, I'd like to have enough stored to fill one of our cars at least.

Wy_Bound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you found the site! I'm actually more concerned about my neighbors than anyone to begin with, I fear they will start stealing and turn on each other. I was reading a thread about the east coast hurricane, and a few guys were talking about all the stolen generators around there neighbor hood. I don't think with the lack of gas someone traveled very far to steal a generator.
The gas concerns me also, it goes bad so fast. They do have some fuel stabilizers that seem to work well, I'd like to have enough stored to fill one of our cars at least.

My neighborhood will be one of our strengths. We have a neighborhood watch and have a close relationship. Each is packing their own heat. Since we are rural and the road is one way in and one way out, should be easy to patrol. If retreat is needed, we will have small boats to bug out across a large lake to a larger area with limited access. Like you my concerns about gas are the breakdown over time even if you use stabilizing products. I have been buying non ethanol gas only for my storage cans, what few I have. I can store close to 60 gals. Have you looked at the solar generators? I get info on them but am skeptical as to their use. Would love to hear some feedback from anyone who has a solar generator.

Greg

KilkennyArms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The G's

God, He can provide for you even if Ravens have to bring it to you.
Grub, Things like food, or smokes, or even alcohol can be used to get food or water.
Guns, obviously protection and food if a hunter.
Gold, perhaps a way of trading for goods above.

The key is to have a way to replenish your supplies and trade for or buy what you don't have. Eggs... could be golden again! :)

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_Ammo_Currency.jpg

Craig3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For part of an investment strategy I can see gold and silver as part of a portfolio.

I'm not sure why everyone includes the gold part for SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenarios.
It always seems to me that in this case, gold would sort of be like carrying a $100 dollar bill was back in the 60s.
No one had change for it.

I can see gold for "quietly" moving funds from one country to another because it would be easier to move larger amounts and be liquid. And, I think it would be harder to find 10 gold coins vs a large wad of cash.

Dave
because you can pay property taxes with gold and silver if the conditions required it. I don't know that they'll accept salt/beans/seeds...but then again who knows

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
because you can pay property taxes with gold and silver if the conditions required it. I don't know that they'll accept salt/beans/seeds...but then again who knows

I'd have to say "maybe" on that. If we have gotten to the point where FRN are no longer accepted as payment for property taxes, I'm not sure that property taxes, per se, would still be in effect. Good point though.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom