Good hole in the wall places to eat...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okmulgee - BBQ - Massey's. Great ribs, hot links and Pulled Pork

gotta say my experience was completely different.... stopped in one Saturday on the way back to Tulsa.... got the deluxe plate with everything.... Absolutely the WORST BBQ I've ever had anywhere!!! would not recommend that place to anyone!!!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Salvador's Mexican place in Broken Arrow is real good. Eischen's Chicken joint in Okarche used to be good, but I haven't been there in a while.

Wifey and I wound up East of Tulsa about 5 today. We drove a little and stopped by Salvador's for the first time. We will make the drive back. Thanks for the suggestion. We both liked what we ordered. Service was very good, we recommend it.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mario's Pizza _ 51st Harvard - pizza
Gyros palace? - 31st Sheridan - gyros
Brownies - 21st harvard - burgers[/QUOTE
Jim's Never on Sunday Coney Island. 21st and Harvard, 1/2 block north, east side. Best coney's on the planet. I've been eating there for three generations of the family that owns it. I always go there while I'm in Tulsa at at the gun shows

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gotta say my experience was completely different.... stopped in one Saturday on the way back to Tulsa.... got the deluxe plate with everything.... Absolutely the WORST BBQ I've ever had anywhere!!! would not recommend that place to anyone!!!

How long ago was that? I tried it a few years ago and wasn't impressed, but I've stopped there quite a few times since and found it to be really good.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been to Massey's but I have had their whole smoked ham a couple times at family parties I've gone to. I always thought it was excellent.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

How long ago was that? I tried it a few years ago and wasn't impressed, but I've stopped there quite a few times since and found it to be really good.

about two years ago.... absolutely the worst BBQ!!!! will not go back ever ...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago when I was a 19 yr old kid working as a 2nd shift machinist on Tulsa's west side our boss on Friday nights would go to Wilsons on Apache or any of the other badazz BBQ places back in the early 80s on the north side of Tulsa and feed us (Petes, Latimers, etc...). I always liked Wilsons the best, I would go there and eat quite a bit. I dont know how many times I would be the only white person in the house but I always felt comfortable and at home there.

A few years ago me and my kid were going west on 11th St and I saw a Wilsons BBQ sign on a place, so we stopped in. The old man had died and apparently a long time employee had bought the old place and then expanded to 11th St. I ordered what I always remembered ordering over on Apache- a pound of chopped brisket that usually came on wax paper on a tray with a loaf of bread, onions and peppers, and I would also order some potato salad and beans, maybe some buttermilk pie if I could hold it. (IMO real BBQ joints dont make good fries typically, and I dont remember Wilsons ever madking them at the old place). It kind of almost but not really was like the old stuff. But not really. I wouldnt ever go there again and not sure if it is still there. They tried to do another one in Broken Arrow not long ago but it closed pretty quick. I dont know if the original joint on Apache is still there.

jerbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old Knotty Pine BBQ out on the old Sand Springs line that burnt down was the original hole in the wall place to eat. The new one in BA has the same food, but lacks the old "atmosphere".

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old Knotty Pine BBQ out on the old Sand Springs line that burnt down was the original hole in the wall place to eat. The new one in BA has the same food, but lacks the old "atmosphere".

It is way to expensive and they still boil their meet. If you order a rib dinner the bottom of the plate will have almost 4 ounces of water. They need to learn how smoking meats actually work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom