Gotta love the SHTF threads!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm rural, so I'm just going to bunker down as well. Besides, somebody's got to shoot all those city folks when they head our way. ;)

This got me thinking about my character in an online game I play (Lord of The Rings Online).

I just finished running around the wilderness and returned to town. This is what I was carrying:

Currently wearing complete set of leather armor

Carrying inside 5 backpacks:
42 Pies
12 Steak meals
82 Wolf hides
14 bear feet
2 long swords
1 dagger
1 bow
unlimited arrows
62 pieces of ore
12 gold ingots
24 silver ingots
17 Broken swords
3 breastplates (chain and leather)
2 leather leggings
6 Taters
18 bunches of blackberries
6 broken statuettes
8 throwing axes
9 healing potions
600+ medallions
7 gold pieces
840 silver pieces
1 horse
1 goat
1 head of a enemy I killed.
A bunch of other misc stuff

I have no idea how I carry a horse and a goat in my backpacks, but they're there if I need them.

Now really, I don't think that's too unrealistic. With abilities like that I should be able to take an entire armory with me when I bug out. ;)

I'll just take my safe and throw it over my shoulder.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can ask around to all the other folks on here who have spent time in the US Army, and Marines what its like to march 12, 26, 40 miles with 65 to 95 pounds, sometimes more, in their ruck, lug two to three canteens of water, webgear, rifle, and ask them how easy it was. I don't think to many of them, myself included, are going to state "Man that was fun, when can we do it again"!!!

I don't think anyone is planning for a disaster survival scenario to be a vacation. It's not *supposed* to be fun. It'd be work, and you'd be strained, and it would be a literal survival of the fittest.

If you are packing to enjoy yourself in a life-threatening situation, you're not doing it right.

If I had to bug out, I'd stake out a spot at the nearest lake. All you have to do is get there via car (or at least close enough to haul gear to a camp spot). Fewer fronts to cover (unless you're expecting approach by water), water source, food source (fishing), mild climate, plenty of brush and wood. I backpack, so I have a top-notch water filter, lightweight camp stove that can run off all types of fuel, tents, bags, a pack, and other stuff for camping. I don't keep them packed and ready to bug out, and I'd rather hunker down at home, but I suppose if I had to...

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm old. I can't run. I can't carry a 70 lb pack all day. I've got a lot of food and water right here. I may have more ammo than sense. All in all, I think it would just be better to let them come and get me, if they feel like it's worth it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im with ya LDP.

The thing is,... its SHTF. If you could "prepare" for SHTF, it wouldnt be called SHTF. I use to do some serious pack hiking... Hell, I usually have to hump a mile when I go hunt with nothing more than my rifle and a handfull of ammo, and that isnt even a pleasant task.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all you hunker down types...if you don't have lots of plans in place that include your neighbors, you aren't gonna make it.

For all you head for the hills types...if you don't have lots of plans in place that include your neighbors, you aren't gonna make it.

No man is an island. If you think you can pull non-stop watch for the squatters, drifters, ne'er do wells etc, you're dreaming.

Why do you think towns got started in the first place? Being on your own is too damn hard, and has a seriously high mortality rate.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all you hunker down types...if you don't have lots of plans in place that include your neighbors, you aren't gonna make it.

For all you head for the hills types...if you don't have lots of plans in place that include your neighbors, you aren't gonna make it.

No man is an island. If you think you can pull non-stop watch for the squatters, drifters, ne'er do wells etc, you're dreaming.

Why do you think towns got started in the first place? Being on your own is too damn hard, and has a seriously high mortality rate.

So you'd recommend staying put then? It's seems that the type of disaster would dictate whether it's better say or go.

You bring up an great point. I wonder how many people think in a SHTF situation that it will become an everyone for himself situation?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF it happens i am going out to my land. I have 110 acres to myself and atleast a house out there with no electricity or running water but its better than a cave. I know of atleast 3 natural springs and i have a pond with fish and access to a lake with tons of fish.

And what kind of vehicle do you drive again? Don't pay any attention to that truck following you. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom