Gotta love the SHTF threads!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SHTF..
Funny thing about this subject is that folks seldom state just what exactly what this would be.
Given the number of different circumstances that could possibly occur, the solutions for them might vary quite a bit.
Some are always going to the cabin in the hills to ride it out..
Quite a few of the things that might occur will result in the "powers that be" locking you down right where you are,
in other words you wont be able to go anywhere.
Or it maybe too risky to go out and about.
Mostly, my crew will sit tight and watch the show.

THIS^

Its all about situational awareness. If its a massive invasion that starts in the major cities and you live in the middle of said city, grabbing your kit and ghosting to a rural area might give you better odds of survival.

Some other situation you may better off bunkering down, closing the blinds and keeping the weapon on the door.

Trying to make the situation fit your plan is never as effective as making your plan fit the situation.

Just sayin...

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've long thought the notion that all the armchair commandos would head for the hills if something happened is absurd. I have my place in the rural hills and I wouldn't be welcoming anyone I didn't know. Anyone trying to squat on the 1000 acres there would end up shot.

The only reason I have any illusions about "bugging out" in a situation is that I already have a cabin in the hills where I could be somewhat self-sufficient. All I'd have to do is get there. I wouldn't have to take all my crap with me.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got 420 acres where I would not need to bug out too. I live there and cannot see living anywhere else. My wife and I made our minds up to never live in a city after we left Germany in 1991 to be stationed at Altus AFB in Oklahoma. WE decided to purchased the house in the country on 20 acres and the 400 acres not too far away. If people are serious about SHTF situations then they should start getting set up in the country already. Trying to move there after the SHTF is a losing situation.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only reason I have any illusions about "bugging out" in a situation is that I already have a cabin in the hills where I could be somewhat self-sufficient. All I'd have to do is get there. I wouldn't have to take all my crap with me.

Assuming you get there, and assuming of course someone isn't already 'squatting' there when you arrive, and assuming they don't drop you as soon as you get out of the truck....

Like someone said....so many variables, even bugging out to a designated location isn't enough of a plan.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people have the mindset of being on the run and surviving, look for massive firepower, I always think of Castner's Cuthroats, that lived and fought with a 22 pistol, and a M1 Garand. The main reason they had the Garand was for the enemy, not necessarily to survive.

Equipment
Standard issue for Castner's Cutthroats was a Trapper Nelson pack, hunting knife, .22LR caliber target pistol and a sniper rifle, instead of the standard issue Springfield rifle, or M1 Garand. However, when it came to firearms, personal preference was the deciding factor. Al Brattain, a crack shot, preferred the M1 Garand because its reduced recoil did not spoil his aim. Trapper Nelson packs held all their supplies for their long mountainous treks. They lived off the land, which allowed them to stay light, unlike most military units of the time. To move from island to island, the men used canoes, from which they fished for salmon. The salmon was dried and stored for the winter, furthering the unit's ability to stay out in the field.

I would agree with needing a rifle, but would tend to lean toward an AR7 or a Ruger 10-22 for caliber consolidation. Kind of goes back to the thread on Carlos Hathcock guide to sighting in a gun. Practice to make one single shot perfect each time. The old saying of beware of the man that only has one gun, because he probably knows how to use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom