Gun Maint - Lube, solvent, rust preventative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I now use Slip2000 EWL. My LWRC M6A3 AR15 came with a bottle of the stuff and they recommened that I use it. After using it and researching it online, it's now my preferred lube. It's very slick and doesn't dry out like CLP.

Thought it was hype at first, but after using it in my AR's and Glocks and comparing it to CLP, there's just no comparison. I still use CLP on my 92fs, my Marlin 60 and older shotguns, but will only use Slip2000 EWL on my LWRC and my carry guns like my Glock.

The thing I love about it is that I can use less of it and only a thin coat is needed. The gun is "almost" dry, but the thin layer of Slip2000 is still very slick and won't dry out. Because of how little I use, there's little dirt and dust buildup in my guns from carrying IWB like I used to.

I also hear good things about using synthetic motor oil as lube for your AR bolt. Seems to produce great results among some competition shooters.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried some ballistol today, haven't really tried to put it in its paces, but disassembled my mak, most of the CLP on it had evaporated to its dry teflon lube form, wiped it off, then sprayed some Ballistol on it. I like the smell! Much better than canned and liquid clp! It was also the slickest stuff ever, seemed to be a bit faster on getting carbon out also.

Just wonder how is it on rust prevention compared to clp.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spec Ops, the rust prevention on Ballistol is excellent. It's is on par with CLP or better depending on the test. There are plenty test online where people match-up all the major brands against one another. CLP and Ballistol are always near the winner's circle with rust prevention.

I can post some links if you'd like. I'll just have to search and find them again.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Covered. Edit: Just noticed that Ballistol wasn't used in this test.
I've used Break Free CLP for awhile. I came across this comparison, http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html and it sounds like Break Free is still a good choice.

Spec Ops, the rust prevention on Ballistol is excellent. It's is on par with CLP or better depending on the test. There are plenty test online where people match-up all the major brands against one another. CLP and Ballistol are always near the winner's circle with rust prevention.

I can post some links if you'd like. I'll just have to search and find them again.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my gun manuals say to use a light gun oil for lubricating. I typically use the RemOil dropper bottle for this and haven't had any lubrication issues.

However, I also use the RemOil spray can for hosing down parts (like trigger groups, bolts, pins, and springs), followed by a nylon brush, another spray of RemOil, and then a wipe from a clean rag. While this works great, it seems to be getting expensive. Any cheaper alternative product or method for cleaning these parts?

I use Hoppe's #9 as a bore/nitro solvent and Shooter's Choice Copper Solvent for getting the copper out. I've been happy with both of these. A bottle of each lasts a long, long time for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom