Had to Use My Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In spite of the presumptions made by the one poster on this thread, I am basically a good shot with a handgun. Raymond said that I was missing the animal by just a hair, going high each time, until the last shot.
Buck Fever? Yeah, I had that; hell, I admit it. Like I say, it was the first time that I had ever shot a mammal and I was a tad nervous.
But the rest of this gentleman's rather harsh and even arrogant judgment of my marksmanship, I take issue with. I was NOT flinching. This gentleman was not there, so I don't know how in the hell he gets the idea that I was.
If I am shooting paper targets, I have the bullet hole to give me some point of reference to correct my aim with. Out on my farm that day, I did not have that advantage. When Raymond told me that I was going a bit high, I aimed a little lower and got the animal.
Like I say, despite this gentleman's insulting presumption, I am basically a good shot with a revolver, but I was nervous, and it had been a while since I had been shooting. As I noted earlier, I took steps to rectify the practice part of it soon after, and I did pretty darned well, if I say so myself.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up too much for missin pepe, I had to take one out this winter with my remington 597 w/scope, he had sprayed one of my dogs really bad and was tryin to spray 2 more when I went out there. Out of a 10 round mag I used 9 at about 100 feet, the only really bad shot was the first which went about 6in high, shots 2-5 hit the skunk or it's hair #5 of course knocked him down, shots 6-9 finished him off when he got back up. One thing I learned from all that is that there's not much critter inside all that hair.
You really should give up your guns before you hurt someone. No; not really. I was being sarcastic and the sarcasm was not directed at you, as you have probably surmised.
Thanks. Hitting a living animal is much harder than punching holes in paper, especially if it is moving erratically. Like I said before, once I heard from my uncle that I was shooting high, I made the necessary correction in my aim and nailed the critter with the next shot.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In spite of the presumptions made by the one poster on this thread, I am basically a good shot with a handgun. Raymond said that I was missing the animal by just a hair, going high each time, until the last shot.
Buck Fever? Yeah, I had that; hell, I admit it. Like I say, it was the first time that I had ever shot a mammal and I was a tad nervous.
But the rest of this gentleman's rather harsh and even arrogant judgment of my marksmanship, I take issue with. I was NOT flinching. This gentleman was not there, so I don't know how in the hell he gets the idea that I was.
If I am shooting paper targets, I have the bullet hole to give me some point of reference to correct my aim with. Out on my farm that day, I did not have that advantage. When Raymond told me that I was going a bit high, I aimed a little lower and got the animal.
Like I say, despite this gentleman's insulting presumption, I am basically a good shot with a revolver, but I was nervous, and it had been a while since I had been shooting. As I noted earlier, I took steps to rectify the practice part of it soon after, and I did pretty darned well, if I say so myself.

Oh, I am sorry, I didnt realize this was some new age "feel good" gun forum. Hey, you go right on, you were close, right? You should feel good about that, you almost hit him 7 times. Maybe you should bring more ammo or start carrying a Glock 17, then you can feel even better about yourself when you miss even more.....

Look, dude, you missed 7 out of 8 times, with a gun you were carrying at the time. That means you havent shot it enough to know where it hits at specific ranges w the ammo your carrrying, and you were flinching (thats what "buck fever" is) another indication you dont have the basics down very well. Both items point to you going back to the basics instead of fancy "Waffle house" scenerios.

Like I said, go shoot bullseye for 6 months or so, then get back to us.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I am sorry, I didnt realize this was some new age "feel good" gun forum. Hey, you go right on, you were close, right? You should feel good about that, you almost hit him 7 times. Maybe you should bring more ammo or start carrying a Glock 17, then you can feel even better about yourself when you miss even more.....

Look, dude, you missed 7 out of 8 times, with a gun you were carrying at the time. That means you havent shot it enough to know where it hits at specific ranges w the ammo your carrrying, and you were flinching (thats what "buck fever" is) another indication you dont have the basics down very well. Both items point to you going back to the basics instead of fancy "Waffle house" scenerios.

Look, dude, you think whatever you wish. I am done with you.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

No it's not. Flinching is flinching. Buck fever has more to do with anxiety and nervous excitement that causes your body to react unintentionally to shooting. Do you hunt? It must be awesome never missing at an animal and not having to humbly come on a message board to be insulted by internet strangers.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it's not. Flinching is flinching. Buck fever has more to do with anxiety and nervous excitement that causes your body to react unintentionally to shooting. Do you hunt? It must be awesome never missing at an animal and not having to humbly come on a message board to be insulted by internet strangers.
I did in the past, and have never missed an animal I shot at. Ever. I also didnt take stupid shots. I knew where my weapon would hit with certain ammo. Its not that hard, its called practice. If you are sure in what you are doing, then you dont have "buck fever" and you dont flinch. From his own description he was doing both, and letting irrational and irrelevent thoughts into his process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom