Had to Use My Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything from squirrels to whitetailed dear, and never missed one of them. I take my time, make a good shot, and I dont get nervious because i have practiced (or had, I dont hunt any more) to the point I was confident in me and my equipment. .22 to .30-06. Good enough for you?

I'll take the ban I'm sure I'll get for this.
You sir, are the kind of arrogant prick that gives shooting and hunting the bad press it gets. Perhaps you should start giving classes on how to shoot. I mean YOU have never missed a shot on an animal. Really? That makes you better than micheal waddle, Jackie bushman, bill Jordan,and just about every professional marksman/hunter to have ever walked the Earth. We all bow to you the best hunter/marksman EVER!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use rubber gloves to take the skunks out of the trap after shooting them with a .22. God that smells bad. Can't say that I've ever seen one acting rabid, but its common among skunks from what I understand.

Yes, rabies is very common among skunks for some reason. You are wise to use the gloves. Just make damn sure the animal is dead. Like I said before, Raymond used a pitchfork to handle the carcass.
About fifteen years or so ago, when he was living in Newkirk, he pointed another skunk out that was acting essentially the same way as the subject of this thread. I had one of my L-frames with me, but not on my person, and by the time I got back to my truck and got it, the skunk was nowhere to be found.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take the ban I'm sure I'll get for this.
You sir, are the kind of arrogant prick that gives shooting and hunting the bad press it gets. Perhaps you should start giving classes on how to shoot. I mean YOU have never missed a shot on an animal. Really? That makes you better than micheal waddle, Jackie bushman, bill Jordan,and just about every professional marksman/hunter to have ever walked the Earth. We all bow to you the best hunter/marksman EVER!

No, it just means you didn't haven't hunted long enough, hard enough, and in worse bad conditions to pull that miss out of you yet. Or hunted with a challenging weapon long enough.

I always love hunters that brag about never missing as if it is something that impresses people, when in reality all it says is "I'm not very experienced, but I need to brag about something." Read the Hunting and Fishing forum here. The guys in there that we all listen to have all missed animals, all all have more experience in a wider range of conditions, more time in the field, and most of all they are not being laughably cocky in a thread about a skunk. Oh, like take for example...the guy named Dennis that posted on this page.

I went years without missing an animal. All that meant is that I was a green punk who hadn't hunted hard enough, long enough. Still am. Shoulda made a timely exit from the game and commenced to internet bragging while I had the chance.

Everything from squirrels to whitetailed dear, and never missed one of them. I take my time, make a good shot, and I dont get nervious because i have practiced (or had, I dont hunt any more) to the point I was confident in me and my equipment. .22 to .30-06. Good enough for you?

Translation: "I squirrel hunted some, and usually made a couple weekends of rifle deer season."

Last edited:

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe for some. I'm not going to say how many deer I've taken, but the numbers are substantial.
To this day, if I see the deer coming, and have time to think about the shot vs a quick aimed shot, my right leg starts shaking. It doesn't matter if its a 70lb doe.:nono2:

Left leg for me..funny you mentioned it..the deer kept looking at the tree I was standing in, wondering why the whole tree was shaking, with no wind..

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine went for a nature hike while in deer camp late on the day before opening. He was carrying his trusty Chief Special. He encountered a skunk, which promptly charged him. Showing great courage, my friend ran away. However, his best running days were maybe 30 years earlier, and the skunk started gaining on him. We watched him run down a dusty road and shoot behind him four times without stopping. He was close every time. Finally, he stopped, held the pistol two-handed, and centerpunched the skunk with the remaining round. It was about a 20 foot shot. We all applauded, then we helped him bury the skunk pretty deep.

This thread has sort of frothed at the mouth too. CB

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You missed a skunk 7 out of 8 times at 15 feet ( or yards) and you come back with "whatever"? Really, are you that dense? "I was nervous, it never shot a mammel before"....Dude, you need basic marksmanship, nothing else at this point. You sucked. Period. Go learn how to shoot before you hurt someone.

Just seeing this...and it was 10-15 yards away. Please read carefully before you belittle someone.

I'm always amazed at how people can be such jerks. This is a great example of one.

To the OP...everyone has missed (contrary to the before-mentioned jerk)... hitting a skunk from up to 45 feet away with a .38 revolver is not easy for anyone, including myself.

I think this last season on TOP SHOT they used a very similar gun multiple time from varying distances and plenty of them were missing the target. Don't fret!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just seeing this...and it was 10-15 yards away. Please read carefully before you belittle someone.

I'm always amazed at how people can be such jerks. This is a great example of one.

To the OP...everyone has missed (contrary to the before-mentioned jerk)... hitting a skunk from up to 45 feet away with a .38 revolver is not easy for anyone, including myself.

I think this last season on TOP SHOT they used a very similar gun multiple time from varying distances and plenty of them were missing the target. Don't fret!

Yeah, I am a tad skeptical of this gentleman's claim that he never misses as well. To be gentle, that is hard to believe, despite his claims of witnesses.
Also, his claim that I was finching was pathetic as well. And when I chellenged him on it, he gave an incorrect definition. This tells me that he doesn't know what he is talking about, reinforcing my skepticism of his claimed hunting prowess.
Like I said before, I don't think that I did all that badly for a first time shooting at a mammal.
Now, the Speer 135g short barreled LE loads that I was using were, to use a very much overused phrase, awesome. Once I finally hit the animal, it lay right down and didn't even kick.
And once more, I thank the members for their support. By and large, most of you guys are great folks.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a tad skeptical of this gentleman's claim that he never misses as well. To be gentle, that is hard to believe, despite his claims of witnesses.
Also, his claim that I was finching was pathetic as well. And when I chellenged him on it, he gave an incorrect definition. This tells me that he doesn't know what he is talking about, reinforcing my skepticism of his claimed hunting prowess.
Like I said before, I don't think that I did all that badly for a first time shooting at a mammal.
Now, the Speer 135g short barreled LE loads that I was using were, to use a very much overused phrase, awesome. Once I finally hit the animal, it lay right down and didn't even kick.
And once more, I thank the members for their support. By and large, most of you guys are great folks.

I am really happy you found a load that if you ever hit anything, will do the job. Now, think about all those innocent people you are going to hit with your misses until you finally make contact. And you carry this pistol everyday, or were that day.....

Like I said, go do some bullseye shooting until you get proficent with your weapon, right now your a danger to all of us.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I am really happy you found a load that if you ever hit anything, will do the job. Now, think about all those innocent people you are going to hit with your misses until you finally make contact. And you carry this pistol everyday, or were that day.....

Like I said, go do some bullseye shooting until you get proficent with your weapon, right now your a danger to all of us.

"...blah blah blah.... I'm an dramatic arrogant ass ...blah blah blah..."

Anyone read anything else in the quoted post?

Latest posts

Top Bottom