Had to Use My Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, so, aside from the pointless bickering…

What's the proper way to dispose of an animal carcass that you suspect might had been rabid? I got curious and googled it, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer. Seems like you could either bury it or burn it, but which is better?

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is flinching the same as buck fever or not!?!?!? I need to know whether I get all worked up when I see that big buck and haven't picked up the rifle yet because I am flinching or I have buck fever. :scratch:

Can I go to a sports doctor for this condition?!?! This is serious business because my hunting shirts are getting destroyed when my hunting buddies cut the tails off for missing the shot!!!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is flinching the same as buck fever or not!?!?!? I need to know whether I get all worked up when I see that big buck and haven't picked up the rifle yet because I am flinching or I have buck fever. :scratch:

Can I go to a sports doctor for this condition?!?! This is serious business because my hunting shirts are getting destroyed when my hunting buddies cut the tails off for missing the shot!!!
No; flinching is not 'buck fever'. Flinching is when you anticipate the recoil and and muzzle blast and shut your eyes and tense up, etc. Flinching is very common in newer shooters and usually ocurrs with guns that have a lot of recoil and blast. 'Buck fever' is a nervous excitement felt by a novice hunter at the first shot at an animal. I imagine that buck fever becomes less of a problem the more that you hunt.
I admit that I had buck fever. It was the first time that I had ever shot at a mammal. I did not flinch.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, so, aside from the pointless bickering…

What's the proper way to dispose of an animal carcass that you suspect might had been rabid? I got curious and googled it, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer. Seems like you could either bury it or burn it, but which is better?

As the carcass still has the virus, the best way to dispose of a suspected rabid animal carcass is burn it. Do not touch it with your hands. My uncle used a pitchfork to pick the carcass up. He put it in the back of his truck and took it and burned it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In spite of the presumptions made by the one poster on this thread, I am basically a good shot with a handgun. Raymond said that I was missing the animal by just a hair, going high each time, until the last shot.
Buck Fever? Yeah, I had that; hell, I admit it. Like I say, it was the first time that I had ever shot a mammal and I was a tad nervous.
But the rest of this gentleman's rather harsh and even arrogant judgment of my marksmanship, I take issue with. I was NOT flinching. This gentleman was not there, so I don't know how in the hell he gets the idea that I was.
If I am shooting paper targets, I have the bullet hole to give me some point of reference to correct my aim with. Out on my farm that day, I did not have that advantage. When Raymond told me that I was going a bit high, I aimed a little lower and got the animal.
Like I say, despite this gentleman's insulting presumption, I am basically a good shot with a revolver, but I was nervous, and it had been a while since I had been shooting. As I noted earlier, I took steps to rectify the practice part of it soon after, and I did pretty darned well, if I say so myself.

dont waste your breath brother, there is only one jackwagon on this thread the rest of us are not here to tear you down.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dont waste your breath brother, there is only one jackwagon on this thread the rest of us are not here to tear you down.

Thanks; I appreciate the support, and not just from beast, but from the rest of you as well. I find that usually when people have to tear others down it is because they perceive themselves to be inferior, so they do this to build themselves up in their own minds if nowhere else.
Anyway, like I said earlier, I will not respond to this person again, if he continues this type of post.
Shooting a living creature is a lot different--to me at least--than shooting a paper target. I don't think that I did all that badly for the first time at bat. YMMV.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the carcass still has the virus, the best way to dispose of a suspected rabid animal carcass is burn it. Do not touch it with your hands. My uncle used a pitchfork to pick the carcass up. He put it in the back of his truck and took it and burned it.

I use rubber gloves to take the skunks out of the trap after shooting them with a .22. God that smells bad. Can't say that I've ever seen one acting rabid, but its common among skunks from what I understand.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine that buck fever becomes less of a problem the more that you hunt.

Maybe for some. I'm not going to say how many deer I've taken, but the numbers are substantial.
To this day, if I see the deer coming, and have time to think about the shot vs a quick aimed shot, my right leg starts shaking. It doesn't matter if its a 70lb doe.:nono2:

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many years did you put in, what kind of game, what kind of weapons and how many days a year did you spend in the field?
Everything from squirrels to whitetailed dear, and never missed one of them. I take my time, make a good shot, and I dont get nervious because i have practiced (or had, I dont hunt any more) to the point I was confident in me and my equipment. .22 to .30-06. Good enough for you?

Latest posts

Top Bottom