Had to Use My Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many years did you put in, what kind of game, what kind of weapons and how many days a year did you spend in the field?

Everything from squirrels to whitetailed dear, and never missed one of them. I take my time, make a good shot, and I dont get nervious because i have practiced (or had, I dont hunt any more) to the point I was confident in me and my equipment. .22 to .30-06. Good enough for you?

That sounded like a four-part question, Mr. Boone.

Here's a story:
One day at my grandpa's farm, he and my brother were shooting at pecans in a tree in front of the house. It was a good 25 yards with a old Remington bolt .22. I pulled up and asked them what they were doing then if they were able to shoot any down. After both said no, I said "why not? that's an easy shot?" Of course my grandpa handed me the rifle and said "prove it!" Wouldn't you know that I fired that rifle one time and one time only from the same distance and plucked a little pecan right off of that branch! I said, "see that was easy". He said "do it again", then I replied "No way, I am 100% in this event and I'm going to leave it that way, you can say what you want but the fact will remain the same that no matter what, I never missed shooting pecans out of this tree."

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you guys say. I mean, you know it all, right? This guy misses 7 out of 8 times, and its time to hold his hand and weep with him.

Then, when the reality is presented, you jump all over me for being real about this. He does not need to be playing games (with "waffle house scenerios") with his pistol, he needs to go shoot it until he knows his weapon. Or a least knows how to make adjustments faster than 7 shots at 45 feet. That shows a complete unfamilarility with his pistol and his ammo.

And if he was so worried about shooting a skunk at 45 feet that wasnt really bothering him, whats he going to do with that revolver if someone is shooting at him? The stress levels only go up from here. And he is carrying that weapon around like he knows what do with it.

The time for hand holding is over, he need real feedback rather than the platitudes your giving him.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm confident that I would hit my target if in a self-defense scenario (man-sized target at 5 -7 yards). But hitting a drunk skunk with a revolver at 45 feet is not what I train for.

Just sayin'.

I doubt I could to it on the first try.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you guys say. I mean, you know it all, right? This guy misses 7 out of 8 times, and its time to hold his hand and weep with him.

Then, when the reality is presented, you jump all over me for being real about this. He does not need to be playing games (with "waffle house scenerios") with his pistol, he needs to go shoot it until he knows his weapon. Or a least knows how to make adjustments faster than 7 shots at 45 feet. That shows a complete unfamilarility with his pistol and his ammo.

And if he was so worried about shooting a skunk at 45 feet that wasnt really bothering him, whats he going to do with that revolver if someone is shooting at him? The stress levels only go up from here. And he is carrying that weapon around like he knows what do with it.

The time for hand holding is over, he need real feedback rather than the platitudes your giving him.

I'm guessing that you're fairly new to this theater???

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

No ones holding his hand. He said he realized he needed practice, and is going to remedy that. No need to keep beating the dead horse, and touting your ability to shoot "bullseye." Which, face it, is also a low stress event, compared to live two way gun fights; so that's not really a reasonable practice method any more than waffle house, IDPA, IPSC, or paper targets. "you suck, go shoot bullseye" is so far your only contribution to this thread. Also, from what he said, he was narrowly missing anyways, which would have likely been hits on a chest sized target. So your comments about "danger to the public" are just dramatic ******** meant to make yourself sound more "serious" and educated about the matter.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No ones holding his hand. He said he realized he needed practice, and is going to remedy that. No need to keep beating the dead horse, and touting your ability to shoot "bullseye." Which, face it, is also a low stress event, compared to live two way gun fights; so that's not really a reasonable practice method any more than waffle house, IDPA, IPSC, or paper targets. "you suck, go shoot bullseye" is so far your only contribution to this thread. Also, from what he said, he was narrowly missing anyways, which would have likely been hits on a chest sized target. So your comments about "danger to the public" are just dramatic ******** meant to make yourself sound more "serious" and educated about the matter.

Precisely my thoughts. Thank you and I also agree with the rest of what you said here.
The gentleman who is so critical reminds me of this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounded like a four-part question, Mr. Boone.

Here's a story:
One day at my grandpa's farm, he and my brother were shooting at pecans in a tree in front of the house. It was a good 25 yards with a old Remington bolt .22. I pulled up and asked them what they were doing then if they were able to shoot any down. After both said no, I said "why not? that's an easy shot?" Of course my grandpa handed me the rifle and said "prove it!" Wouldn't you know that I fired that rifle one time and one time only from the same distance and plucked a little pecan right off of that branch! I said, "see that was easy". He said "do it again", then I replied "No way, I am 100% in this event and I'm going to leave it that way, you can say what you want but the fact will remain the same that no matter what, I never missed shooting pecans out of this tree."

I wish that story was true, but both my Grandfathers died before I was born. I would have liked to meet them, and have them as part of my life. Dont think i would have posted that to you, though..

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Usually, if a person is very, very good at something, they don't feel the need to try and tear others down. And if someone does think that they must try and belittle others, it usually indicates that they are not very good at the activity in question.
I am sure that some of us know a few martial artists, black belts in such things as karate and Tae kwon do (sp?). You rarely hear them brag on their skill, and they don't go about telling others that they suck either. They dont thump their chests and tell the world 'Look at me and see what a badass I am', especially they don't brag about how they have never lost a fight. Because almost everyone loses fights (or misses a shot) and contrary to assertions made by the one gentleman in this thread, it doesn't mean that if a person doesn't do well in one particular instance, (me vs. the skunk) that they are, by definiton, poor marksmen.
My experience with braggarts is that they are usually very small-minded people who are better at shooting off their mouths, or in this case their keyboards, than they are their guns.
Now, I'd like to address the issue of bullseye shooting and its' relevance to my situation, in particular whether or not I should be carrying due to my alleged poor marksmanship.
Prior to the 1950's, almost all US police departments used the standard bullseye course for qualification. Their scores were sometimes very impressive. But a lot of the same officers who did so well on the bullseye course, when they were in actual combat, did not do well at all. The departments finally figured out that while bulllseye target shooting might be a good skill for an officer to have, its' relevance to the reality of combat was limited. When this hit home, they changed their qualification course to PPC and other shooting disciplines, and the results were much better for the officers on the streets. Jeff Cooper has said that combat shooters, while they might be less accurate than bullseye shooters, typically strike a much heavier blow and they strike it much much quicker. In other words, it makes no real difference to the outcome of the fight if you are aiming for the X-ring, but instead hit the ten-ring. Your adversary will be just as dead. This is not to say that precision accuracy is of no benefit, but it is not the be-all and end-all that some seem to think.
The question needs to be addressed: which person stands a better chance in a fight: one who takes thirty seconds and puts the bullet very precisely in the center of the X-ring at 25 yards or the person who can place the shot in the 8-ring but takes only one to two seconds to do so at five to seven yards? To me at least, the answer is obvious.
I am not knocking bullseye target shooting. But as the late Chic Gaylord has said "Target shooting has the same relationship to combat shootng that judo has to ballet."
In short, comparing bullseye and practical (combat) shooting are about like comparing apples and oranges. They are not the same: one demads great speed and moderate accuracy and the the other reqires precision accuracy but has much more generous time limits.
Using this gentleman's logic then, 95% of law enforcement should put their guns away 'before they hurt somebody'.
Like I say, apples and oranges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom